sending video around house

Now that analogue TV is disappearing, is it time to scrap coax as a means of sending video around the house ? If so, what is the simplest alternative means of doing this (e.g.) digital TV to other rooms, cooking channel to monitor in kitchen etc. Sending over gig-E works, but not cheap with the equipment at each end. DVI / HDMI ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

What I have. and its flawless, is a loft aerial, a distribution amp and coax to every room which has its own TV and STB. Or here to this PC with a Hauppage dongle, or the wife's mac with an Eye-TV dongle.

I am sure its the same with satellite: you need as many tuners/STBS as you have people wanting to watch something different, so don't think about shooting a single off air channel around the house. Since 90% of the cost of a TV is the screen anyway, makes no sense do not have full blown digital TVs all independently operated.

TV over IP is too bandwidth hungry to be used except as an exception to the rule. We don't have I-player we have TV tuners on the computers that record for us ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sm_jamieson (sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) wibbled on Tuesday 11 January 2011

15:08:

MythTV can have the backend server in one place and display clients on GigE remotely - so it is possible.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , sm_jamieson scribeth thus

Nope..

Depends on where your "Video" starts. If its already at RF then co-ax is fine, if its off the PVC as a streamed feed then CAT 5 ethernet is the best bet.

If its just simple composite video then again Co-ax or CAT 5 with Baluns thereon to take the un-balanced video source to match the CAT 5 balanced operation...

Reply to
tony sayer

Satellite needs an LNB with independant outputs for every sat box you ever want to connect or a Quattro LNB feeding a multiswitch that then feeds each sat box. Most multiswitches also have inputs for FM, DAB and UHF aerials so the single coax from feed those as well with a suitable splitter at the wall point. I wouldn't share a sat box with anything else though but FM, DAB and UHF shouldn't be a problem.

If iPlayer is acceptable that only needs 2Mbps not very much on a

100Mbps network even with several streams operating. Running decent quality HD would be different, streaming a Blu-ray for instance would use 40Mbps...

IPTV isn't quite there yet. Our telly can connect to a DLNA server but is limited in the video formats it can decode. The system is not particularly consumer friendly yet, you can't simply rip a DVD to a server and then access it (and have full DVD menus, options etc) over the network for example.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

But its all coming over 3Mbps ADSL mate.

now imagine TWO computers watching I-player..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes thats done here on a 10 meg VM feed.

Problem is as you well know not everyone's got one of they;(..

Reply to
tony sayer