Semi OT Latestbunch of idiots.

Drivel That was exceeded by a single incident in the oil industry.

And a long saga here

Do you want to add the coal related ones? Oh go on then. More than 100,000 in the last cnetury.

harryagain

Harry: just because a bunch of lefty greens wrote all those pages in Wikipedia - they lifted it all straight from CND/Greenpeace spin, doesn't make it true.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'll bet Harry hasn't read the next paragraph. The one where it says the problem is not only solvable, but solved.

Reply to
John Williamson

#moreharrylies

Reply to
Tim Streater

Did I not read recently that the Saudi's had quite a substantial nuclear program on the go too?.

If they have .. I wonder why that is?..

Reply to
tony sayer

As I have mentioned elsewhere Harry, repeating rubbish does not make it any more true. You have been given the facts about how, given the political will and lots of money, the waste problem could be solved. The thread OT More on the waste "problem" gives an alternative approach being developed, which might not need the lots of money.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

What has that to do with the price of fish?

The discussion was about the relative safety of wind and nuclear. We all know that coal and oil are a lot more dangerous. Nuclear has demonstrably killed 0.004 people per TWh while wind is estimated at

0.15, although I think that needs to be increased in light of the above link.

For coal the global figure is 100 (including all energy uses) or 60 for generation alone (170 and 90 respectively in China). For oil the figure is 36, for biomass 12 and for natural gas 4. These figures include all causes of death, from gathering and transporting the fuel to deaths attributable to pollution.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Since when did the nuclear industry become the coal and oil industry Sherlock?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which is largely alarmist and biased. It also contradicts the article here:

Which concludes:

"Long term storage of radioactive waste requires the stabilisation of the waste into a form which will neither react nor degrade for extended periods of time. One way to do this is through vitrification. "

Perhaps if you read the literature rather than grabbing onto any snippet that you hope supports the bollocks you spout you wouldn't make a regular fool of yourself.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Most shocking to me is that bystanders are now being killed by wind turbine failure as witness the death of 17 bus passengers in Brazil killed by a falling turbine.

The death toll from windpower is now over double that from Chernobyl. The only way the greens can make Chernobyl sound bad by comparison is to invent deaths, that is to add in deaths that have not yet happened to the total.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I thought coal, oil and radio activity were all free. No ones charged me for their existance as far as I know.

that's one of the costs of any system. But with some things yuo can undisperse them as in shipping relatively small qaunities or radio acitve elements or large quantities of coal and oil.

Only if we use them.

But it cost a lot of money to gather such things, look at the price of solar cells and they don;t last forever either, so they too need replacing.

Strange that so few sensible people seem to be buying them.

What I can;t understand is if these things are so good why aren;lt British gas buying them in their millions or other mass supplies of power, especially in countries were they get more sun such as in Australia.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Doesn't take a genius. But its beyond harry of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wind turbines are lower in height than coal fired power stations :)

Reply to
The Other Mike

No they are not.

Not these days.

use of electric fans removes the need for tall convection towers and exhaust scrubbers removes the need for tall chimneys to disperse noxious plumes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

..and even drax

"The reinforced concrete chimney stands 259 metres (850 ft) high, with a diameter of 9.1 metres (30 ft), and weighs 44,000 tonnes. It consists of three flues, each serving two of the six boilers. When finished, the chimney was the largest industrial chimney in the world, and is still the tallest in the United Kingdom."

The total height of a 2MW turbine is already 95 meters, the biggest 5MW monsters are 120 meters just to the nacelle. And to emulate the average output of drax, you need 3000 of em, so the chanceof falling off one is presumably 3000 times greater. In fact its more, because drax's chimbly will last 60 years at least, and a typical whirlygod lasts 15 years. so thats 12000 times more likely to die falling off a wind turbine tower top. Oh and of course there is almost no need to ever for to the top of drax's tower - maybe once every ten years. most turbines need bearing or some other replacement every year at least, so lets make that 120,000 times more likely to die falling off a wind turbine than a coal power station chimney. For the same amount of electricity generated.

In any case, any height over 10 meters is pretty much fatal.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That only means the final impact takes a bit longer. The result of the impact is not going to differ much.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I think I understand what you mean, you're saying that the size of the 'piz za splash' you'll leave from falling from either will be pretty similar in shape and size which will obviously depend on the person and what they are wearing and what ther ate or drank previously.

.
Reply to
whisky-dave

Which bit is that? It says no such thing.

Reply to
harryagain

I pointed it out a while back. There can be only one reason. The oil is running out. They are muslims and think Inshallah. ie think god will sort things out.

They are also installing large PV arrays.

harryagain

"500 kW fixed tilt photovoltaic plant and is expected to generate

864,000 kWh/year."

I tried dividing 864,000 kWh/year. by the number of hours in a year, and got 98 and a bit KW.

So ACTUALLY its a 100KW panel not a 500KW one.

A capacity factor of 20%, still its twice as good as the UK, eh harry?

"A 200 kW rooftop installation is planned for Riyadh , and is expected to generate 330 MWh/year"

Lets see, 330Mwh is 330000kw which averages to 37Kw ..that's even WORSE.

So the average solar power in Saud is actually 135 kilowatts. Slightly less than the sheiks Ferrari engine.

As far as all the 'we will definitely be doing' stuff, well we were definitely going to be in the hydrogen economy by now, the seas were definitely going to have flooded Holland and there would definitely never be snow in England ever again.

What will happen in reality is that saud will try a bit of everything and find out quickly who is lying and who is telling the truth, and install loads of nukes and very little solar.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher