Semi-Detached housing, can we share digital aerial?

My nieghbour and I would like to share the costs of a new digital aerial on the chimney but wondered about compatibility of our televisions using the one antannae?

Plausible or impossible?

Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

Yes, it is possible for you and your neighbour to use the same aerial for freeview. Signal on freeview can be a bit low at the moment and usually about a tenth of the signal transmitted for analogue (this will increase after analogue shutdown), but if you are not too far from your transmitter it should be ok. You will need an active splitter, meaning a preamp with two outputs. There aerial will go into the input and then the two outputs will feed to each of your houses. The splitter/amplifier can be in the loft to prevent the weather getting at it. Unless you are very far from your transmitter, you won't need a mast mounted amplifier. If you are in an area when the signal is VERY strong, you could get away with a passive splitter.

Hope this helps you a tad

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Yes, if either the signal is high enough to use a passive splitter, or you use a distribution amp., The latter is highly recommended if you want to drive more than two sockets anyway.

been totally satisfied with whatever I have got..looks like its obsolte now anyway.

You will have to fight over whop pays the electricity bill; though!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just to add to Graham's reply, I would suggest you have a passive splitter from the aerial provding two outputs, then feed one to each house, then from here, you both can distribute the signals as you both wish, this way, neither of you are relying on somthing plugged in, in the outher house, which would be a right pain in the arse if one of you goes on holiday, and the power trips out!

Toby

Reply to
Toby

What a treat to hear. Neighbours who are willing to co-operate.

Can't help thinking this would make so much sense for all sorts of terraces, split houses, etc. - not just blocks of flats and friendly neighbours. Surely one good aerial is better than ten heaps of junk?

Reply to
Rod

Perfectly possible, but use isolated outlets to prevent danger.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My neighbour and I did this at my previous place for years. Worked fine. I put up a new dedicated aerial for him when I moved out just to save any complications with the future occupants.

Reply to
John Rumm

It will also need earth bonding to the electrical installation in each property. Otherwise it could introduce a high potential into the equipotential zone from the other property. (unlikely but in theory ought to be treated as an external service).

Reply to
<me9

Earthing *or* equipotential bonding - choose one!

John Rumm

Answering another question ... You have analogue reception at present? If so, you might want to check whether the current reception is adequate.

In my own case, being a long way from the transmitter and /thinking/ that my analogue reception was far from perfect (ghosting on C5 and possibly imagined snow on other channels + lack of confidence in a self-installed aerial merging and distribution system) I was humming and haaing about a new aerial. My local TV shop (complete with owner who knows his business) suggested try with a set-top box first. And lo and behold it gave my signal 9/10.

The Freeview box cost me twice that I see advertised --- but the advice was well worth it.

Best regards,

Jon C.

Reply to
Jonathan Campbell

Many thanks to all who responded, it certainly will give us a better understanding.

As to my nieghbour, we are also going halves on a complete chimney repair, and whilst I have been unable through an operation he has come in to mow the lawn!

Good nieghbours are hard to find, hang on to them if you can!

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
petercharlesfagg

One point about this joining. What about residual current being imported from one house to the other?

From time to time my aerial had up to 90 volts in it from various sets it was plugged into. This has been reduced by junking of CRT stuff but still has a fair tingle on it.

Reply to
EricP

I understand that if your good neighbours are moving ........... move with them :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

The only problem with this suggestion is in future when someone unknowingly replaces an isolated socket for a non isolated one. I see this all the time. Some electricians don't even know there are different types. If you earth the system properly, you've got to house the earth connection in one of the lofts, so could you always be sure the earth is still connected if it's not in your house?

Reply to
Anonymous

I think this comes under 'exporting' earths?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)