Selling, why ask is it available

Just a short rant..

I'm selling a caravan awning and I've had numerous people reply to the ad (10 or 12) by email asking if it is still available. I reply with something like 'yes it is, would you like to come and see it'. Then I hear no more. Why waste both of our time by asking, if their intention is not to take it further?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield scribbled...

Pikeys after you address so they can nick it.

Reply to
Artic

Artic formulated the question :

No address is given and even if it were - they would be struggling to steal it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield put finger to keyboard:

People with similar items to sell wanting to know if your price is about right?

Reply to
Scion

I was selling a car on Gumtree. Got email enquiries whether I was still selling it, then an offer if I would accept a cheque for much more than the car's worth and me refund the difference minus my generous handling fee. Needless to say, the car sold to someone else who paid cash.

Reply to
Adrian C

I have sold a load of items on gumtree smaller values from £10 to maybe £70 stuff that for various reasons ebay isnt suitable. Virtually every sale has the `is it still for sale` enquiry and then silence. I have never worked it out :-(

One thing I have always done when they come to collect is make sure my video cam is switched on so I have a video of all purchasers, cant be too careful these days.

Reply to
ss

Obviously you come across on the phone as a shady character.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A perfect opportunity to invite the scammer down and meet him with a few mates with baseball bats.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

They're hoping it hasn't shifted and you'll flog it to them for peanuts. Seriously; it's the way the bottom-feeders operate.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

This reminds me of the brother-in-law. Even after sourcing and buying the article he still runs around checking the price elsewhere. Some people are just a PITA.

Reply to
fred