Sellafield offline

and and...

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

well its clear what news YOU read.

apparently adverse weather means (parts of) the site will (is to be? ) closed for a bit.

Just a chance to get teh words 'nuclear;' and 'panic' into a headline, one supposes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Old news Calder Hall, the plutonium (primary) and power generation (secondary) plant closed in 2003. The WAGR in 1981.

There is a small (168 MW) gas powered CHP nearby, we have had a couple of minor power blips this morning.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

To allow staff to go home early because of severe weather.

Reply to
Huge

What and where?

Reply to
Bob H

So nothing new there then?

Reply to
Bob H

Or for the Fitters and some other specified people to stay on the plant until the rods are clear of snow.

I know because I have done it. 40 odd hours in overtime money for nothing.

Reply to
Bob H

A major incident

In Jethro's head.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Give me a chance - I posted it the second it flashed on the ticker - there was no more detail at the time. Just seemed germane, given the ongoing threads on energy issues.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

On Friday 22 March 2013 12:34 Jethro_uk wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Sellafield is never "online" in that is does not generate power and never did (unless you count Calder Hall, but that was experimental and/or local site supply only IIRC).

What are you on about?

Reply to
Tim Watts

The Beeb

Reply to
Huge

I don't know if conditions are really bad up there today, but they tend to do that at the slightest provocation. When I worked for them in Warrington, they closed the offices for four days "due to the snow". It was unusually bad, but I was out and about each day and didn't have any problem getting anywhere.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Exactly!

Obviously that poster knows more about Sellafield than anyone who worked there.

I bow to the knowledge.

Reply to
Bob H

Came across this whilst looking.

harry

That's what I said in the thread relating to the repository. WTF has the the planning for a respository been allowed to fail? Just find the right geological conditions a build the thing. Sod the NIMBY's.

They seem happy enough to plough HS2 across the country side willy nilly and sod anybody in it's path.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Except for the detour to miss George Osborne's constituency, of course.

Reply to
Nick

Andy Wade

"It said the shutdown was nothing to do with the work at the site and there were no safety issues.

Spokesman Karl Connor said: "This is purely a safety issue ...""

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Some of the people involved with spokeing and news seem to leave their brains at home.

BBC website says that 100 kg of horsemeat was found in Preston area. BBC radio says "over 200 pounds" of horesemeat was found in Preston area.

Reply to
polygonum