Self tappers for the larger hole(s)!

From the rear cover of the PC you are typing on. Not quite self taping in that they need a pilot hole but should do.

Reply to
G&M

An easy option might be Halfords - they do boxes of assorted including quite large ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have to fix two thin (~1mm) steel sheets together and I can only get at one side. The outer sheet is in fact an inspection cover, so needs to come off (but not often). I thought to use self tappers but the largest diam ST's I can find (B&Q et al) is 3mm but the existing fixing holes are bigger than than - about 4 mm. Can someone tell me where either a) where I can get larger ST's b) Are there better "one side" fasteners available from somewhere? tia ps The original fixing were "use once" plastic-popper type things.

Reply to
dave

Overkill probably but will you find something to suit your purpose here.

The site has grown considerably since I last looked.

I have a bucketful of self tappers about 6mm core x 13mm (ish), I will have to check. Email me and I could send you a few.

Sunbeam

reply address is not valid, use nick p at british farmers dot com no spaces

Reply to
Sunbeam

The hvac trade do this all the time, use sheet metal fasteners (screwfix sell them) they drill their own hole and have a nice chunky thread. The head is 8mm hex with a washer built in. You can also get the type with a rubber washer as used for roofing sheets, these are sometimes better as they tend to keep done up under vibration etc. They are also great in car repair work.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks vm. Screwfix have them, as you say. (found under "blind bolts").

Reply to
dave