self levelling floor

Hello

I am considering ripping up tiles and laminate in kitchen prior to fitting a new one but I would like to level the floor and lay new lino/tiles (not sure which yet!)

How easy is leveling a floor using leveling compound and can anyone given me any advice re: what is the best compound/screed to to get and where from.

Thanks for your help

Beaker

Reply to
beaker

The message from beaker contains these words:

It's great if you're doing a decent thickness. Under about 3mm and it's a bastard 'cos the stuff doesn't self-level.

Reply to
Guy King

Self levelling compound is a bit of a misnomer it should really be called self smoothing compound. You need to get it roughly level with a float first before you leave it to smooth. As Guy says you need a good layer to get it to go easily, but note many compounds only do 3mm. Bal Multibase is supposed to do up to 10mm without additives but it's bloody expensive and I found it not as easy to use as Wickes Latex Levelling Compound, that does up to 5mm but at less than half the price.

HLAH

Not easy stuff to use. You have to chuck it down and work quickly (preferably towards the door :-)). If you want to level the floor rather than smooth it, a pva mortar is easier and cheaper. Latex screeds are better where there's a possibility of damp, and they go off quicker, which is why contractors use them as a matter of course.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Seal the concrete base with PVA before applying the SL compound, otherwise the working time is VERY short.

Dave

Reply to
Dave