Self Levelling compound - advice?

Hello there,

Can anyone offer advice on using self levelling compound?

I have applied 1 layer, but results weren't too good, I need to apply another layer, as carpet is being fitted in 4 weeks time.

How do I get a reference level for when I'm pouring compund?

I thought about drilling the floor, and fitting rawlplugs, then adjusting a screw in each rawlplug using a spirit level until they are all level. (does that make sense?)

can you recommend a good make of leveller, rather than wickes / B&Q? MAPI was mentioned to me but seems hard to track down

regards

Adrian

Reply to
Ade

When I used self leveler on my kitchen I took the skirting of and raised it a couple of mm to give me an height to work to I then mixed the leveler and just poured it on the floor at the furthest point and worked back towards the living room each time pushing it here&there so it ran out smoothly.

I think you have made the mistake here of putting one level down then putting a second level down bearing in mind the thicker it is the less chance of it not cracking.

If you find it's not leveling out you might be making it too thick?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

*Consider* getting someone to do it.

You don't. You prepare the floor as indicated, mix the stuff up, horse it on, *very briefly* and *quickly* spread it out with a trowel 'till it's a roughly smooth (!?) layer, and then leave it to settle.

Not at all - this stuff just produces a smooth surface, if you're quick it will also be flattish.

Ardex (bag'n'bottle).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

As has been mentioned before on here, "self levelling" is a bit of a misnomner. If you want the floor level (as in spirit-level level), use sand and cement with pva, which is a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to work. The real function of flooring screed is to act as a waterproofer which sets to a smooth finish, and leaves no gritty bits on the surface i.e. it flattens the surface but doesn't level it. You need to slap it down and work fast with a trowel. Not the easiest job.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

The Wickes stuff is garbage. :-(

B&Q if you must, best I used that I didn't have to track down during

9-5 on a week day was some "Evo stick" branded stuff or something that sounded similar.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.