Self Adhesive Mini Trunking

Is the self adhesive mini trunking available from Screwfix (16x16 in 3m lengths) OK?

It's just for running a few coaxial cables in but might be fixed to plastered walls.

Does it stick ok, or is there another better type available.

I need about 100m I think.

Many thanks

Reply to
Anonymous

I've found the self adhesive stuff fairly hopeless for permanent fixing to plastered / painted walls but ok on laminates. However having the sticky on the back makes installation earier as it stays there long enough to get screws through it.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

100m, wow!

The sticky stuff is fine for small runs in out of the way places but because of the adhesive pad it'll leave a small gap between it and the wall so I'd go for standard stuff. Plus alignment will be easier as once the adhesive has made contact you can't shift it if it's wrong.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

|> It's just for running a few coaxial cables in but might be fixed to |> plastered walls. |>

|> Does it stick ok, or is there another better type available. |>

|> I need about 100m I think. |>

|> Many thanks |>

| |I've found the self adhesive stuff fairly hopeless for permanent |fixing to plastered / painted walls but ok on laminates. However |having the sticky on the back makes installation earier as it stays |there long enough to get screws through it.

Agreed the sticky tape on the back is IME useless, except for holding it in place to put some screws in. If you have mains cables in them, should you use plastic screws?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Couldn't agree more.

I used the self adhesive screwfix trunking a while ago to put in a Cat5 network - luckily in my own premises.

Two days later most of it was hanging by the cables it was supposed to contain - adhesive had totally failed.

So definately use the self adhesion to hold it in place while you screw it to the wall.

By contrast a few years ago we used self adhesive trunking from RS Components on the same walls and you can't remove it without taking the plaster off ;-)

Reply to
Eric The Viking

For that length, try using the coiled version. It is fitted flat against the wall & can then be fixed with masonry nails before the sides are pulled up to make the channel. Dont rely on the adhesive - but the smoother the surface, the better the adhesion (I must have put up about

200m in the last 2 years

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Andrew Mawson" saying something like:

That's it exactly. It's f all use as a means of securing it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I have used self adhesive from CPC on painted plaster... that is all still there two years and more later as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

The coiled stuff is the business. Used to use it all the time in my past job.

Reply to
PeTe33

The coiled stuff is 3 times more expensive than the non self adhesive non coiled trunking.

Is it still worth the extra?

Reply to
Anonymous