Seized garden shredder

This is one of the crusher type, rather than a spinning knife.

It failed to get appropriate maintenance last autumn unfortunately - ie one of us used it and didn't clean it out. Nor in hindsight did I pour some oil over the grinder wheel which would have been a good idea.

I've got the casing off and it's obviously the crusher grinder wheel where the problem is as I can move the motor fan 20 degrees or so quite freely, but the wheel is solid. There's an adjustable plate for the grinding and that's free ('ish!).

Any bright suggestions? There are 4 bolts holding on a plate carrying the grinder end bearing - releasing them has achieved nothing.

Reply to
Rob Graham

yes, post a pic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In the absence of pictures, soak the seized metal bits with penetrating oil (WD40 at a pinch). Ideally submerge them in oil for a few days.

Reply to
newshound

I've had good results with Screwfix no nonsense penetrating oil, easy to apply.

Reply to
Capitol

Thanks for the suggestions, guys

The logic of soaking in penetrating oil suddenly struck home and a 5 litre plastic bottle was suitably cut and became home for the crushing end plus a quantity of CH oil which is just paraffin, and might well be what Screwfix's penetrating oil is.

Interestingly the motor plus gearbox, presumably epicyclic, plus the crushing box weigh over 40lbs. Thanks again Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Yes, perfectly reasonable choice if geometry dictates that you need a few litres. Or diesel, if you don't have a source of CH oil. No reason not to put the diesel back in the tank, after letting any dirt/rust settle out, and/or run it through something like a coffee filter or a couple of layers of kitchen towel in a funnel.

Reply to
newshound