John Chapman
John Chapman wrote:

Hi John, they do seem to have gone out of fashion, which is a pity 'cos they're better than a washdown in function. You can get them, of course, but at a price. You are lucky that it's a white suite - can you find a replacement ceramic cistern that you could fit your current cistern innards to? That'd be my preferred fix - however, if your existing cistern is cosmetically acceptable, there is a solution, which is to "tank" the inside with two layers of fibreglass matting and resin. I have done this with a ceramic cistern with complete success. If you want details, I can type them up, but not now as I'm in a hurry!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com
We have quite a number of these fitted to our high rise flats, and was informed last year that the last manufacturer to make them was ceasing production.
We now have to change them and make extensive pipe modifications when faulty.
dg

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 20:55:18 +0100, "John Chapman"

They use too much water to comply with the newer regs. In theory they can still be fitted as a replacement, but not for a new installation so not much demand. I have one, and had to replace the cistern a year or two ago. Getting a replacement cistern (Twyfords) was easy enough from the local builders merchants, although had to be ordered from their suppliers specially and was more expensive than a complete new WC. The merchants swapped the syphon in the cistern for a suitable one and it works fine.
--
John

John Armstrong wrote:

Is that so? I did not know, do you know of any on-line docs?
It's an interesting thought that while syphonic suites and "normal" washdown ones used to use C. 2 gallons of water, or 9 litres, newer ones may only use 6 litres, BUT they are quite likely to be fitted with the rotten flap valves that have been unwarrantably foisted upon us. These things are very prone to leakage, and it is likely that they will waste more water than is saved! Whether or not the reduced volume of water used will cause other problems is a mute point.
________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 08:59:32 -0400, "jerrybuilt "

No, unfortunately I am working from memory from what the manufacturers technical guides said when they still had syphonic pans in them. I assume that there isn't enough water in the maximum 6 litres to start the syphon action as well as washing the contents from the front.
--
John