Seeking *straight* handrail bracket

I'm trying to source some metal brackets to fit a standard wooden handrail to a staircase. The issue is that I don't want to attach the rail to a side wall, but to a wooden balustrade-thing beneath - it's a fully paneled, with a flat wooden top, to which a tatty old handrail was formerly fitted and I am now replacing. Basically, what I want is just like these...

without the dogleg in the stem; ie it would be a straight rod with a perpendicular drilled bracket at either end.

I've tried Screwfix, Woodfit, Isaac Lord, Ironmongery Direct, Romark, Toolstation, Richard Burbridge ... surely they must exist somewhere?

Any ideas?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Have a chat with

The tricky thing with "straight" fittings is they are not straight. The support for the rail needs to be mounted on the fitting at the same angle of inclination as the staircase, and hence is variable from one staircase to the next.

Most fittings of this type seem to be hinged in some way:

John Rumm

There's no reason why they can't be straight. So long as the two mounting faces are parallel, the angle of the stairs is totally irrelevant and the handrail WILL be parallel to the stairs.

Looking at the link you gave, I don't think you understood the OPs description of the problem?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

but I don't, I want the straight bit to be perpendicular to the rail: would only be about 2-3" long. They would replace the orignal 1950s items which looked OK design-wise, just that they would have looked more in keeping with a scaffolding tower than a domestic stairway!

David

Reply to
Lobster

I understood the question well enough... If you use something that does not remain vertical then it tends to look odd if there are vertical elements below (for example splindles etc).

If you just need parallel to the exiting rail, a wood block, pocket hole screwed to the exiting and new rails would achieve the same result.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK, I've found a pic of the old installation - should have posted this originally perhaps:

The old rail (now discarded) was steel, with welded-on, perpendicular brackets attaching to the horrible white 'solid' balustrade thing below.

I've thought long and hard about ripping that out and fitting a decent spindle-based set of bannisters, but have rejected it on grounds of time and budget - I had a peek behind the white plywood cladding in the folorn hope of finding a beautiful set of spindles concealed back in the

60s, but unfortunately it's just rough 3x2, so obviously it was built like this.

So I want to tart up the existing balustrade as best I can, and thought a natural-finish pine handrail on top, mounted on brass (preferably) brackets as described originally. I'd wondered about some form of wood blocks, but the whole thing already is already so solid and clunky, I don't think it would really work.

So, still looking!

David

Reply to
Lobster