Seeking M6 socket bolt, 70mm

Apparently this is an unusual item...

I need 4 M6 socket-headed bolts, 70mm long (excluding the heads), and here's the rub: threaded over the entire length. Everywhere I've tried only has a thread at the bottom 30mm or so, regardless of overall length.

Oh, and ideally in s/steel.

I spose I could buy non-fully-threaded ones and tap a thread myself, but would rather avoid that as I don't have any of the requisite kit, for a start.

Anyone able to point me at a supplier?

Many thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

That's not a bolt, it's a machine screw. If you use a real industrial supplier they'll have them. I use County Industrial in Cwmbran or the place in Bath alongside Green Park station.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

75mm OK? :

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Oops, should have looked a bit harder, there is 70mm too:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks but it needs the socket head like:

(I'll email the site as per their advice though)

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks. I did try a local industrial supplier actually, who normally have a fantastic range, and they advised me (I think) that the versions with threads all along couldn't be obtained (but maybe they just meant they couldn't obtain them!)

I'll try and find another similar place in the vicinity...

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

on item 25706

Reply to
Matt

In general you can't. The shank of a bolt is smaller than the correct size to tap a thread on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Machine screws are usually easier to find than bolts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you tried asking for "set screws" or "machine screws"? Bolts, by definition, are only threaded over part of their length.

RS do them in stainless up to 60 mm, if that's any good.

Reply to
Andy Wade

The unthreaded portion of a bolt is bigger than that of the thread. If it's smaller, it would be a screw.

You can roll threads on screws (this is how they get to be bigger in diameter) but bolts are generally either cut threads or a two-diameter dowel with a thread rolled onto one part of it.

A bolt is basically a dowel pin in shear, with a loose threaded nut to fasten it. It may also provide compression, but it's capable of resisting a radial shear load. This requires a plain shank that's a snug fit in the hole, i.e. bigger than the thread.

A screw is a clamping device into a tapped hole. It's not intended for major shear loads and so the shank diameter, or its smoothness (i.e. non-threadedness) isn't so important.

Many screws are loosely called "bolts", but they aren't.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reading the rest of the thread (and your responses). What you are after is called a "socket head cap screw", possibly with a washer, and any 'good' "nut & bolt" supplier in your area will be able to help. Post where you are and somebody nearby may be able to point you in their direction. If you only NEED 4 then a couple of beer 'tokens' will get them for you, as I have found in the past when needing some obscure fixings!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

I appreciate my error in the vernacular, but as I've been hawking round an identical example of what I'm after (or looking at pictures on web pages), that hasn't been the cause of the problem. But having ascertained they can definitely be obtained, I'm renewing my efforts!

David

Reply to
Lobster

My mistake, they do M6x80mm fully threaded which could be ground down:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C