Seeking good home for old mechanical stuff

Rob gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There's a bit more to it than that.

The receivers would take responsibility for all the assets of the business immediately upon the firm going under. They have a legal duty to those to whom the business owes money to generate the maximum return - which includes minimising their own fees as well as maximising the sale value of the assets.

Clearly, they have to secure the site - for all they know, at that stage, there's valuable stuff hidden which could easily go awol.

But not only would scrap value for that stuff be relatively high, but a single clearance will be low-hassle and low-admin-cost.

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

The more enlightened administrators will have an open day for inspection and then an auction day. I picked up some nice stuff that way when a local Seagate plant closed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Grimly Curmudgeon gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Depends on what there is, of course.

If there's a large stack of relatively high-value equipment, then - yes - an open auction makes sense. If there's just a pile of ageing tat, then...

I also suspect things might be a little more laid-back over your side of the water, where both demand is likely to be higher and the administrators are likely to be smaller, more local firms whose charges are more in proportion with companies like that.

Reply to
Adrian

The York Air Musuem (an ex WWII RAF Bomber Station) have an appeal for BSW tools, etc for using to restore elderly aircraft aircraft and to train others in the restoration - might be a worthy cause?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

It was a fair mix of interesting and valuable tat going for a song. I got there the second day by which time all the really good stuff had gone, but still filled a trailer with SS workbenches, 5V and 12V bench (or cupboard) PSUs (one of which I priced a couple of years ago at several hundred pounds) and various odds and sods. I kicked myself later for missing out on a seriously useful UPS - 6kW iirc. Needed new batteries, but only went for 25quid and I could have had it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

To be clear - everything going in the bin. It's not going into receivership - it's been asset stripped by a US firm and the site (the main value) to be sold.

Yep - I used to work for an auction house (Henry Butcher), and have some experience of this, from single traders to major corps (Talbot, Linwood). This is simply a case of the new owner can't be bothered with the hassle (at least AIUI - my mate's the 'site caretaker', former tech manager).

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Rob gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So it's not gone bust.

Such is their right...

Reply to
Adrian

No, you're quite right, my mistake, a euphemism like 'reshaped' or 'newly gestured with realigned staffing' is far more accurate than 'bust', granted.

I know all this goes on, it's just when you see it so close to home that the extent of the waste - social and economic - is apparent and to me annoying.

Yep, that seems about it, cultural turn: shrug. I might just as well join you and put the revolution off for a while ;-)

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Rob gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

When it comes down to it, it's their stuff to do with as they will.

Same as nobody (with the possible exception of the missus) can tell you that you've got a shed full of crap and ought to bin the lot...

Reply to
Adrian

Damn! I had the revolution 'pencilled in' for this weekend. ;-)

Reply to
PJ

Those mortal coils are hard to come by. What's the inductance, Henry?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Bloody criminal.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Drop an email to Paul at Internal Fire

He will be very glad of anything like that for the museum engines and workshop. What he doesn't need gets bartered or sold for funds. The museum has friends all over the country so, if you can weight a few weeks, someone will collect them.

John

Reply to
John

Sorry, forgot to ask. Where about are you?

John

Reply to
John

Drop Paul an email at Internal Fire Museum

's always glad of anything like this.

John

Reply to
John

Drop a line to Paul at Internal Fire Engine Museum.

He's always after things like these.

John

Reply to
John

I think you've made your point ...

Reply to
geoff

I am tempted to say aren't we all but given that the OP has never come back to the thread was he just trolling?

Reply to
Roger Chapman