Seeking advice: repairing a rice cooker

I used them in my immersion heater. (*) They seem to be OK, despite the thermal cycling.

(The spade terminal fell off one of the connections to the heater element.)

Reply to
Huge

More like "11 minutes later, remove drain cover made of rice, throw it away and cook some more by the 'rolling boil' method."

TBH, these days we use Tilda ready cooked basmati pilau rice to go with curries.

Reply to
Huge

Pan on gas ring - full boil for one minute - put lid on pan, turn off heat completely, leave for 15 minutes.

Reply to
alan

No-one in this thread that suggested boiling rice has mentioned the starch problem: it causes rice to stick together in lumps. My method eliminates the pre-rinsing, and the lack of constant agitation of the boiling method means that the rice doesn't stick. Simples....

Reply to
Terry Fields

problem: it causes rice to stick

constant agitation of the boiling method

Afraid I always pre-rinse. Well, bung required rice in pan, add cold water, shoosh around by hand, pour out water. Repeat if very starchy. Started doing so in Sri Lanka where the rice often has stones, etc., in it.

Then, used to do the reverse of your approach, set on a modest heat, and by the time it gets to boiling point, rice is ready. On old ceramic hob, that would be about setting 4. Now on induction, get to boiling asap and switch off, like you.

Reply to
polygonum

I've tried all the rice cooking methods mentioned here and IME they're all useless except the "rinse and rolling boil" method. Obviously people's mileage varies, but I certainly have no intent of changing ...

Reply to
Huge

problem: it causes rice to stick

constant agitation of the boiling method

My Indian cookery teacher said to rinse rice until the rinse water goes clear.

Reply to
Huge

[snip]

OK, so I looked at the advice, and found RS's French for-individuals site (now that's a stupid idea - one site for companies and partners/sole traders, one site for the general public. I know why, but it's still a stupid idea) who had all the relevant bits.

Two two-way ceramic terminal blocks and a coil of 4mm over-172-rated fabricky sleeve, plus a replacement thermal fuse => one machine repaired!

Thanks for all the advice.

Reply to
SteveR

Rice is a pan, water, simmer ....1,344,130,000 Chinese can't be wrong.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

One hell of a surge current when they all switch on their cookers at once. :-)

But... Surely only some cook? The rest are cooked for. And why exclude Taiwan? And India?

Reply to
polygonum

they've probably nothing better to do with their lives.

Reply to
charles

it certainly beats watching X factor...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's: "X factor"?

(I don't have a telly, assuming that this is something televisual).

Reply to
Frank Erskine

En el artículo , Frank Erskine escribió:

It's a "talent" programme on the Idiot's Lantern viewed only by the brain-dead, m'lud.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

OK divide by 4

or 6 ... still a lot of people who don't use fancy ricecookers

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Better if steeped over night before cooking, assuming you are using pukka porridge oats,and then add a dash of Drambuie before consuming

Reply to
fred