Seeking 3C-&-E cable in old colours

I decided to do my current rewiring project using the old colours on the basis that (a) I had a fair amount of old stuff in stock and (b) the local sheds (B&Q/Wickes) don't stock any harmonised colours at all yet (still).

However, I ran out of 3 core & earth cable for my 2-way lighting and smoke alarm circuits. A trip to B&Q and Wickes for a new reel was fruitless; I was advised that the cable (either 1.0 or 1.5 mm2) is now obsolete and they won't be getting any more in. But no sign of any harmonised-coloured cable in the forseeable future, either. God help us.

So I'm in the middle of the project, run out of 3C&E red/black cable, and the regs forbid me to use harmonised cable. So before I rip the whole lot out and start again, does anybody know who still stocks this stuff (1.0mm ideally)? I think the online retailers are all now fully on to harmonised? (Actually TBH that isn't going to happen; I bought 3 very expensive 7m lengths in poly bags from Wickes, but would rather return them and buy a full reel.)

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Lobster wrote: ... snipped

Why? All you need is a standard sticker on the CU saying that the installation uses both colour schemes.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

You're allowed to do that if you're adding to or extending an existing system but not if you're installing a new system from scratch (as I am).

From BS7671: 2001 - Amendment No 2 : 2004 (AMD 14905):

"Installations commencing on site after 31st March 2004 and before 1st April 2006 may be installed in accordance with Amendment No 2 : 2004 or Amendment No 1 : 2002; that is, they may use the harmonized colours or the old colours, but NOT both."

"If wiring alterations or additions are made to an installation such that some of the wiring complies with Regulation 514-04 but there is also wiring to previous versions of these Regulations, a warning notice shall be affixed at or near the appropriate distribution board with the following wording: "CAUTION: This installation has wiring colours to two versions of BS 7671. Great care should be taken before undertaking extension, alteration or repair that all conductors are correctly identified."

David

Reply to
Lobster

Ah, I hadn't realised that this was a new installation. I wonder if there's a definition of when alterations or additions become a new installation?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

but then the bit with the old colours was obviously done long before part P, wsn't it. And that new bit is a replacement for something the mice found tasty.

Reply to
DJC

You can use a second length of T&E for the third wire. Cut back the unused core, ensure *all* the earths are connected, and the second T&E

*must* run alongside the first at all times.

You also used to be able to get sheathed single red, for the same purpose.

This will be fine for 2-way switching, not sure about smoke alarms.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Take a trip round your local wholesalers since you want a full reel. One may well have the old colours still in stock.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Loads of it for sale on E-Bay, most of it 100m reels of 1.0mm and 2.5mm at £4 and £8 per reel (P+p £8 + 2.50 for every extra reel) from a proper firm in East Anglia. I've purchased 200m of each. (I have no connection with the seller)

See

Mark Carver

3-core and earth (as he said).
Reply to
Bob Mannix

You're right, my apologies. Worth giving them a ring instead, they might well have some.

Headley and Ellis Ltd 01733 345250

Mark Carver