SEEK small heater for garden shed

Where in the UK can I get a small heater for my garden shed to keep away the damp?

I store some personal possessions there like clothes, books and so on. This means I don't want a heater which makes a smell - like paraffin.

The shed is small (about 2m x 2m) so I don't need a powerful heater. There isn't enough room for a heating panel as big as this:

Lucia X

Try a greenhouse heater.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Nick

like a small tube and mount on the wall. Usually for a greenhouse, you have to use a bit of imagination as no one is going to package it up for you with "shed heater" on the side.

Reply to
Ian

If so then you may find a small fan heater connected via a thermostat[1] is the simplest. That will allow you to set a minimum temperature below which you don't want it to fall (about 5 degrees ought to keep it damp free).

[1] keep the heater set to its lowest power setting (say < 1kW) and that way you will extend the life of the contacts in the stat!

The alternative is to build/acquire a cupboard to put in the shed and only store sensitve stuff in that. A small tube heater (or even a light bulb) ought to keep that mositure free.

Reply to
John Rumm

Would cost about the same as a new heater too.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Would cost about the same as a new heater too.

I'd pay attention to whats going on under the floor too, thats a prime source of damp in sheds.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If you have no electric to the shed consider this...Generator

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Reply to
Martin

He meant this one:

idea but a few /tiny/ flaws:

It only has a runtime of 5.8 hours and then you have to fill it back up with petrol. The OP doesn't want her clothes etc to smell of damp so it's safe to assume she doesn't want them to smell of exhaust fumes neither. It only has an output of 720 Watts, not really enough for a fan heater, or a de-humidifier for that matter. It costs £60, plus the cost of a de-humidifier, plus £20 daily for petrol to keep it running all day...it would be cheaper to build an extension to the house.

Reply to
Phil L

Go eat you're rice crispies Phillip. Caravan in blackpool didn't last long... too cold was it?.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I've never eaten rice krispies.

How long do you think a weekend is George? Clue: It's Friday and Saturday night, come back on Sunday, some of us do work you know.

Reply to
Phil L

plastic storage containers or thick polythene bags with plenty of silica gel.

A local removal firm or self storage place might be able to sell some bags of gel at a reasonable cost. The gel can be recharged in a low oven in summertime when damp isn't a problem.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C