See over 120 *unique* DIY tips here.....

Funny you should say that, I was mounting a hose reel a couple of days ago, screws supplied. Th'only problem was they seemed to be made of an aluminium alloy. Quickly replaced with decent screws once one of them started to turn out.......

Reply to
The Wanderer

"Plumber's Always Use Grips To Tighten Compression Fittings Show me one with a proper fitting spanner, 15/16" for the 15mm"

A fixed-size spanner for compression nuts doesn't work because not all compresssion nuts are the same size. I use a good-quality adjustable (Bahco). I hardly ever use grips. But would you expect a carpenter and joiner (however skilled) to be an authority on plumbing? :-)

I'm not sure 'As featured in PRIMA magazine" is the highest recommendation I would aim for for a trade and skilled-DIYer-orineted website, and if I were wanting the website to promote my business I'd get the spelling, punctuation and capitalisation right. But then I don't know what a tradesperson's website is doing under a hotel site anyway.

However if I were in the area and market for Mr Brains' services his intemperate responses to regular uk.d-i-yers who've obviously bothered to read and respond to his post and web page would make be decide against it PDQ.

Reply to
YAPH

That's odd, I thought pencil-chewing was incredibly common - so much so that it forms a colloquial expression for a difficult problem.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

I think the idea is to stop it rolling off the bench and breaking. One of those little plastic animals is better.

Reply to
dennis

If you say so... first I've heard of it (the popularity of the habit, and the colloquial expression, whatever it is).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

If you wish to remove a screw 'with no head', what you do?

drill out the rest of the head

Reply to
tim.....

Ahh ty - neat idea.

I thought the suggestion to sew through emery board an especially bad one. Not only would it shag the needle it would also soon shag the machine.

Brain shere did have some good ideas among that lot, and if s/he gets a bit more realistic could be a valuable contributor.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

He could be getting mixed up with the way that some people coil solder around a pencil and then feed the end through the middle

Reply to
geoff

Yes. The idea of making a security screw by drilling out the cross head is stupid. All a thief needs to do is carry on drilling and remove the lock etc. Proper security screws are hardened to prevent drilling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Possibly because some of us have more than half a brain.

Anyone else shocked at some of the potentially dangerous suggestions... (G-cramps instead of spanner, using an incorrectly sized spanner and a coin shim, using an inappropriate sole-plate from an iron as an anvil, scraper fashioned from a bulldog clip and a razor blade)

Maybe these are all ideas that we would consider in the safety and privacy of our own homes, but to publish these (in that last bastion of DIY literature, "Primacy magazine", no less) is asking for trouble.

Most of the other ideas are either plain daft, too specific, too obvious or impracticable.

Hopefully Brainshere will get bored and bugger off elsewhere. Or read the more useful and intelligent information generally on uk.d-i-y and get a clue.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

*"Prima"... my bad... spent all morning looking for tyres (Michelin), hence brain-fade.
Reply to
Mike Dodd

But was the list home grown, or simply a list they happened across somewhere?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

They're certainly not all original thought as I've read several elsewhere. The quality of the prose and grammar suggests not just cut and paste though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I expect it was a collection of "stuff" to improve the search rankings of his web site. He spammed it out to a few unrelated groups the other day.

Characteristically they usually hit and run after making some noise.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed. See here:

to be TMH ain't the only one to get people ripping off his web site ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I read 'as featured in Prima magazine (October 2003)' as meaning that was the source, rather than being an accolade for the site. The tips certainly have the feel of things submitted by magazine readers.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

He has just appeared in uk.rec.gardening with the same crap.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:57:04 +0100, "nightjar" I read 'as featured in Prima magazine (October 2003)' as meaning that

You'd have hoped a magazine might have a proof reader though?

Reply to
John Stumbles