Security versus safety - flat door locking

I don't think that's true any more. Euro profiles in the last 2 flats I had in London, and the last 3 offices I worked in, all as mortices in wood(-ish) doors. Particularly in the business environment (or anything commercially leased), I think they predominate due to rekeying from time to time.

Reply to
dom

Indeed. However, AFAICT, it is not possible to get a BS3621 high security type with thumb turn.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Example

Reply to
djc

Most houses are like a sieve when it comes to fire escapes, having lots of exitable doors and windows, but this only works if the occupant has enough awareness to know to use them, some dont.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Is that the one just off Piccadilly Circus where you get a key for the bathroom and return it when finished so that it can be cleaned?

That would apply to almost any large hotel, I've been round the back of the Ritz, yuech...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Guy King writes

I must agree, I did a bit of work there a couple of years back, luckily only for a day.

The blood art in the toilets was amazing, I reckon that they must have used two or three different dia' needles on the syringes to produce the effect.

Reply to
Bill

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Ah, yes, done the Ritz, too. Royal Garden Hotel wasn't too bad, but the very worst wasn't a hotel but Taco Bell in Leicester Square. What I thought were nice curved tiles between the floor and the wall to facilitate cleaning turned out to be a nice fillet of dirt.

Reply to
Guy King

Pretty much so, although when I stayed there the second time they'd upgraded to an Private Automatic Telephone Exchange so you just dialled IIRC 5 for the maid

And as for the staff gents' at Gleneagles ... the most extraordinarily explicit toilet graffiti I've ever seen. Usually it's "Phone Randy Mandy on 07912...." this was Randy Mandy Andy Dandy Fido and Trigger, with illustrations for the illiterate, innocent, or foreign reader.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I thought the initial post referred to a person leaving a house and locking a door leaving the person inside with no means to get out. I wasn't aware that insurance companies required all external doors to be locked when the house is occupied. Is that what most people do.

With respect to flats/apartments, doesn't the requirement for an alternative means of escape apply to them as it does to a house? I suspect it does otherwise the 'Regs' would be nonsense.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

In message , at 07:35:52 on Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Edward W. Thompson remarked:

If the person going out thought the house was unoccupied, then it wouldn't matter if the insurance company had an "unoccupied only" rule.

It varies. I know that the policy I bought in about 1989 specified a whole set of extra conditions I'd not seen before. Including locks on all windows that could be accessed from the outside (including by standing on any handy nearby walls etc) and locking the external doors at night [not sure about daytime].

Others I've seen do indeed only specify that the precautions are required when the house is "unattended".

No doubt people ignore all sorts of rules imposed by their insurance company.

Maybe an "escape window" is sufficient?

Reply to
Roland Perry

I've fitted Yale euro profile mortice deadlock and latch &lock to my front and rear wooden doors - easily obtainable to BS standard . Thumbturn on inside available as well but will not be BS !

I had fitted Abloy europrofile mortice locks to my last house 20 years ago.

Euro profile morticelocks have been fitted to my last place of work ( hospital) for many years. Robert

Reply to
robert

How secure are euro locks? Not very! They can all be opened in seconds with a bump key, which is easily diy'd from a spare key.

Reply to
<me9

In article , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

You've done this yourself?

Reply to
fred

Not all Euro cylinders are the same. My last house had Euro locks and I managed to source a very high security one. Keys could only be cut from a code on a very large computerised milling machine, not copied at the local cobblers. Keys were rectangular, with pits drilled into them, rather than a "Yale" type blank cut from the edge.

Costs mucho money. BS3621 approved. 4 quid job from Screwfix is NOT the same thing.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Apparently bump keys work on them, and are available freely online. sets of about a dozen different profiles including the one with drilled pits. They aren't particularly rare, we used them years ago (from the 60s) at work.

Reply to
<me9

Did you see the reference to in the bump-key thread?

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey