Security loop/ring/eye to bury in drive

We're about to have a new drive laid, and I thought I'd take the opportunity of burying some form of security device in the ground while it's being excavated, that I can use to temporarily secure by padlock and chain a pushbike/trailer/ladder/anything else suitable. I'm envisaging a ring or loop 2-3" in diameter protruding from the ground, with the other end buried in a large lump of concrete below the surface.

I know there are various devices which you can bolt to the ground for this purpose; however my version should be neater, much more secure, and probably cheaper!

Any suggestions where I can procure something suitable, either purpose-made or fabricated? Needs to be very strong (angle-grinder proof ideally?) and corrosion-proof obviously.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

proof ideally?)

Even if the ring is angle grinder proof, the chain and padlock are unlikely to be.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

================== Secure storage units often have a strong hasp and staple housed in a vandal-proof steel housing / box. The idea is that any wouldbe thief has to cut the box off first before being able to get anywhere near the padlock. You might be able to adapt the idea by sinking your security ring below ground level - rather like your water stopcock is done.

Have a look at :

for one possibility.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

True!

But I do think that in circumstances like this, in general the rigidly mounted component (ie, my embededd ring) needs to be a hell of a lot stronger than the non-mounted bits (ie padlock/chain), because it's much more difficult to grip them firmly enough to saw or chop through.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Cheaper than =A36.99?

in theory you can unscrew it from the ground but it would take a fair number of turns to do that and with sothing attached to the top that also has to rotate not easy.

Or there is:

?id=3D96493&ts=3D43635

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Lobster writes

The cheapest hardened product I can think of would be a cheap shackle type bike lock buried in the ground (locked :-) with a bit of mild steel bar through the opening, set in concrete.

You could fabricate something from thick bar but fabrication = labour and that costs; a cheap bike lock would be 15quid or so:

you're burying in concrete then you don't need to go daft on the reinforcement (crossbar) either, I've locked a huge chain into a concrete block to protect a valuable bike & just passed a few broadly spread loops of fence wire through the end in the concrete as it is just to binding the chain to the concrete.

Reply to
fred

i used the towing eye attachment off a newer shaped mondeo and concreted the threaded end in the drive (although reading it back it was very obvious really)only mod i did was to weld a bar across the end so it couldnt be pulled up

Reply to
mindwipe

This kind of stuff any use?

Richard Packer

david,

i seems a bury type motorcycle gorund anchor would fit the bill try.

Reply to
kevin foote

toughened steel chain would be good. Has the advantage that any little bit above ground is floppy. Dont try using bolt croppers to cut it, theyre only good for mild steels.

no such thing

Or just thick.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Get some big hardened chain and set it in a lump of concrete, recessed below the surface of the drive so you can't easily get to the bit that comes out of the concrete and you can chuck the chain in the hole to keep it out of the way. You could fit a cover too.

Reply to
Rob Morley

It also depends on what you're trying to protect. I've read of caravans parked behind locked bollards which are buried in half a tonne of concrete. All that happens is a pikey turns up with a HIAB on a truck and pulls the bollard out of the ground with the concrete still attached and drives off with the caravan. So besides losing you van you also have to repair the drive.

Rgds

Andy R

Reply to
Andy R

Yep, if some one wants to nick something they will unless you take very serious and expensive measures to (try) and prevent it.

All you can do is make it difficult to nick such that the pikey goes somewhere else. A hefty chain and quality padlock, through the frame, wheel clamps, tow ball locks. Three things that have to be defeated before he gains his prize. Not worth the effort or risk in being discovered during the longer time he has to spend over coming each obstacle.

Simple but moderately effective protection and insurance.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I would agree with this. The insurance company insisted on double locks on all windows and doors, in addition to the alarm system, when we were going to be away for 100days. The multiple obstacle approach has a lot going for it, but the Alcatraz key collection is a major drawback, when you're trying to find out which one fits which lock!

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Stupid requirement fitting double locks. If the thief can get through one then two isn't going to stop him. Unless they use different technologies which they don't usually specify that is. I suspect that there are less thieves that can pick locks and crack combinations than can do either on their own.

PS. a jemmy works on both.

Reply to
dennis