Securing externally beaded double glazed windows

How can I secure externally beaded double glazed windows so the beading can't be removed and the window removed by burglars. Thanks for all replies.

Reply to
jeff.morgan

Using window tape, which replaces the thin plastic/rubber strips on the inside of externally beaded windows. It doesn't stop you taking the external beading off, but you can't get any further without smashing the glass as it's stuck into the frame. I don't know if it can be retrofitted into older frames, and I could imagine some potential problems such as it being a different thickness and the outside seals not working as well, but that's what new frames use nowadays. You can probably buy it from a glazing shop (who might give some more advice on retrofitting), and I've seen it in Wickes to go with their windows.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Superglue is the only option.

Reply to
EricP

Rubbish.

Glazing tape works well. It can be retro-fitted but the point that Andrew makes about thickness is valid. Using tape will decrease the space available for the sealed unit and so it might be necessary to use new glazing beads as well. A friendly local window fabricator will supply and advise.

Reply to
Ziggur

Well, for a start the OP never advised whether he's talking about timber DG windows, which typically have wooden beading nailed around the outside - very easily removed by a tealeaf, and well-suited to the glazing tape solution - or uPVC stuff. If the latter, then the uPVC beading profile is highly dependent on the brand of the window, and if the local chappie doesn'ty do that brand the OP will be stuffed. I once had to try to source replacement uPVC beading for some relatively new Rehau windows but drew a total blank after the profile design had been changed.

David

Reply to
Lobster