Securing end of cable help (bolt)

Hi,

I am about to install my on sky dish and want to secure the cable the screws onto the LNB bottom of dish. It screws onto the bottom of the dish using a f-connector and want to know what I can use to seal it in place. Do I need something like loc-tite?

Any advice welcomed.

Reply to
Goofee

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:59:59 +0100 someone who may be "Goofee" wrote this:-

Unlikely. Sky tend to control such things so they are only installed by registered staff.

Presumably a satellite dish. The distinction is important as BSkyB are just a small part of satellite television/radio.

Simply screw it up and push the cover over the top. You are using a connector with a rubber boot designed for outdoor use I take it? If not then invest in one. Many suppliers do them including Maplin, I have even taken the trouble to look it up

David Hansen

Rubber or plastic boots aren't very good - they can trap moisture inside. It's much better to use PIB (self-amalgamating) rubber tape, then a layer of pvc or Denso tape for protection.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Self amalgamating tape is the thing to use. Stretch it as you wind it round and it merges to form a waterproof rubberised boot. Far more effective than the slide on boots.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well I think I know what you are asking but I'm not clear by any stretch of the imagination.

*IF* you are talking about the F-connector to LNB then wrap it with self amalgamting tape. Covering as much as the threaded socket as you can and extending down over the connector and an inch onto the cable.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Sky don't control what dish I put up. I bought my own dish and am about to install it simple as tbh. Theres no law against anyone else putting up a sky dish. Do you think every has 3 weeks to wait for a sky appointment and a clumsy incompetant installer whos aparantly skilled ?

self-amalgamating tape.

Reply to
Goofee

It's not UV resistant, though.

For my amateur radio antennae, some of which have been up for 15 years, I use self amalgamating tape, covered with insulating tape covered with a layer of bitumen car underseal.

Reply to
Huge

In article , David Hansen writes

You can install your own dish for Sky if you want .. nothing to stop you at all..

In fact your likely to make a much better job of it than the Sky cowpokes...

Use self weld tape fine for that job.... and a few tie wraps...

Reply to
tony sayer

Stick to collecting train numbers Mr Hansen you clueless tw*t, anyone can install a satellite dish, in fact some of the worst installations have been done by BSkyB's supposed experts.

To the OP - As others have already pointed out, self amalgamating tape is what should be used, just make sure that you stretch it correctly as you wrap it around the connector and it's self.

Also make sure that you leave a 'dip loop' below the LNB and before the cable passes through your outer wall.

Reply to
:Jerry:

I've never found any requirement to protect self amalgamating tape. Even when directly exposed to sunlight. Took some aerials down that had been put up a good ten, maybe 15 years, and the SA tape was just a bit grubby. Still sealed and no degradation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Make that a "drip loop". B-) ie run the cable down past the hole and back up to it. Similarly at the LNB make sure that the lowest point on the cable is away from the LNB connector. This is to stop any water running down the cable from entering the LNB or your wall. Don't bend the cable with a radius less than a couple of inches. Bear this in mind when running the cable down the wall to the hole, run it a few inches to one side.

Also when drilling the wall drill so the the hole outside is lower than the one inside, encourages any wet that does get in to run out, not in.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It happens that Dave Liquorice formulated :

I agree! I took one down last week for repair, which has been out in the weather 11 years. The ladder line centre tapping from a long wire dipole. The ladder line had snapped at the joint, but the tape had not deteriorated nor had moisture managed to get to the joints terminal bolts - they were as clean as the day I taped them.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I don't know why they have the connector so exposed to moisture tracking down the threads of the F connector into the cable. It cannot be that difficult to design a boot which seals at the top of the thread against the LNB, covering the connector completely and preventing any ingress.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It gets used by sailors to protect rigging screws. It doesn't degrade despite being out in all weathers. Most materials dont' last long on a boat because the combination of sun light, salt and damp degrades materials quickly.

Reply to
Steve Firth

The quad lnb Sky installed here has a retractable cover which telescope in to get access and protects the connectors. The installer still used tape to waterproof the connections.

Reply to
dennis

In article , Harry Bloomfield writes

Beg to differ but I have seen it deteriorate over some years in exposed locations on telecoms towers, but the formulation may have changed over time.

Otherwise very good stuff:)

Reply to
tony sayer

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:54:20 +0100 someone who may be "Goofee" wrote this:-

As I said, they tend to. However, it has been some time since I bothered to look at such gadgets. When I looked just now I see that one can now buy them from suppliers and install them oneself, so my mistake has been corrected.

They don't cause moisture. They may trap moisture if not installed properly, but then so may any sort of tape.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:29:54 +0100 someone who may be ":Jerry:" wrote this:-

Excellent, rudeness. Usually the resort of those with a limited education.

Reply to
David Hansen

I installed my own analogue sky dish so it has been a decade or two.

Sky offer ridiculously low installation charges anyway so most people will go for the install.

Reply to
dennis

Or a well timed insult to one who dearly needs it. Noting I said was untrue.

Reply to
:Jerry: