securing copper pipes

Hi

I had some mild steel brackets holding some copper pipes in place on a wooden joist, but a plumber told me that I should not use mild steel as it reacts with the copper, but I forgot to ask him what I should use. Any ideas Please.

Thanks

Alec

Reply to
alec green

Or just put something nonconductive and nonsaturable between Cu and Fe, like a bit of plastic from a drink bottle.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

bit of plastic from a drink bottle.

Dear God, it's him spouting more of his bollocks.

Plastic pipeclips from any DIY shed or plumbers' merchants. The steel only reacts with the copper if they're wet, usually condensation forming on a cold pipe. If it's not wet it's not a problem.

If it's an old installation and there's no corrosion, there's not a problem that needs fixing.

Reply to
Onetap

a bit of plastic from a drink bottle.

its onecell again

reacts with the copper if they're wet, usually condensation forming on a cold pipe.

indeed

if condensation happens later, it is. Corrosion between different metals can be quite fast. A slip of plastic solves it by blocking conduction path, either metal to metal or via condensate. If you don't know this stuff you're a fool for complaining.

that needs fixing.

If

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You (and the OP's plumber) neglected to mention the magic, missing ingedient for a corrosion cell, i.e., Water. Or an electrolyte , to save you trying to be pedantic. You also neglected to mention the obvious simple fix, plastic pipe clips.

Cut up drink bottles. FFS. That'll look reet posh.

You come across as a dullard trying to talk the talk. Give it up, you haven't a clue.

Reply to
Onetap

be quite fast. A slip of plastic solves it by blocking conduction path, either metal to metal or via condensate. If you don't know this stuff you're a fool for complaining.

Just to clarify that, for the seriously stupid. It's either a cold water pipe (mains, CWDS) on which water vapour may condense, or it isn't (heating, hot water, gas).

Reply to
Onetap

And of course, what is intended as a hot water pipe might not always actually be hot. So it too might have condensation forming on it. Whether it is a heating pipe or hot water. Indeed, such pipes might get pretty darned cold under some circumstances.

Reply to
polygonum

They're not always ideal. If running a hot water pipe mounted from above - like say in a cellar - they can sometimes pop out due to expansion and contraction. Copper saddle types are better for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

for a corrosion cell, i.e., Water.

No, I mentioned it, after initially assuming people would know about it.

water plus dust soon makes that

slipping a bit of plastic in is far quicker than goping down the shop

The OP has copper pipes on steel brackets. So most likely this is in a location where appearance doesnt matter one iota.

same dumb responses as always

Fact: what I mentioned works Fact: sometimes its mcuh quicker & easier, sometimes its not whats wanted. The rest is hot air

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You mean a pipe intended as a hot water pipe may have cold water running through it?

I'd suggest you get your plumbing looked at.

It has to be below the dew point and a hot pipe cooling towards room temperature wouldn't do that.

Reply to
Onetap

I'd use the Talon plastic ones with the snap closure.

Reply to
Onetap

Nigel, you're an ignorant dullard. Try and spin it as you may, you left out all the relevant information.

Bore off.

Reply to
Onetap

Or brass pipe clips if you particularly want metal. Munsen pipe clips.

Reply to
Onetap

Can one not simply put some form of tape or other substance between them. I'm sure I've seen this done.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I do. Happens all the time - you know many properties do not have the heating blasting away every hour of every day! Like timer controls, and thermostats, and even being manually switched off when people are on holiday.

What is room temperature? In the winter it can drop pretty low.

Reply to
polygonum

What a childish response

Reply to
meow2222

He's right about the mild steel.

You can buy a range of copper saddles and plastic clips for the job. You can wrap some electricians plastic tape round the pipe but it's quite fiddly to do this.

Reply to
harry

These are particularly useful if you have odd surfaces to mount to as you can make them stand off pretty much as far as you like.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That would do it. Not seen them in the sheds - but then I've not been looking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes, and the air moisture content drops as well. You still need a pipe that is cooled for persistent condensation. I can't see it happening. Rod? Speed?

Reply to
Onetap