Securing an acrylic shower tray

I have bought an acrylic shower tray from B&Q but the instructions are missing! I've read a few threads about installation, but still have a few of questions to ask:

  1. Once I have sorted out the waste pipe and levelled the tray using the adjustable legs, do I stick the sides of the tray to the wall with adhesive?

  1. The tray does not have upstands. Can you buy something similar to go up the wall behind the tiles (not yet fitted) to help seal it?

  2. Does a tray like this require support underneath other than the legs themselves? If so, quite a lot (of mortar?) would be required. Would expanding foam do the trick?

Many thanks to anyone who takes the trouble to offer answers.

Reply to
kenknott

I have bought an acrylic shower tray from B&Q but the instructions are missing! I've read a few threads about installation, but still have a few of questions to ask:

  1. Once I have sorted out the waste pipe and levelled the tray using the adjustable legs, do I stick the sides of the tray to the wall with adhesive?

  1. The tray does not have upstands. Can you buy something similar to go up the wall behind the tiles (not yet fitted) to help seal it?

  2. Does a tray like this require support underneath other than the legs themselves? If so, quite a lot (of mortar?) would be required. Would expanding foam do the trick?

Many thanks to anyone who takes the trouble to offer answers.

Reply to
kenknott

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com saying something like:

No need for adhesive. The tray just sits there on top of its seating mortar or foam, whatever you use.

Upstands, while nice to have, aren't always necessary if you tile down properly. To be on the safe side you can get a seal that does just as you say.

I've come across ones that only had the legs in use - they were cracked, so I wouldn't trust the legs alone. Mortar would be great, but what's 'quite a lot' in your case? A couple of spadefuls would be all it would need and once done, no further worries. Expanding foam can be used, but not so much as load bearing, more to stick the tray to the floor. I've used EF successfully under cast resin trays, but I avoid the plastic trays like the plague, because they're crap.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Thanks for the useful advice, Dave. Mortar it is.

Reply to
kenknott