Securing a vertical flue

I'm building a brick smoker in the garden and am trying to work out how to = secure the chimney for it.

I'm going to be casting a concrete slab as the roof for the smoker about 4c= m thick (just over 1.5") and am planning to use 5" single wall enamelled fl= ue pipe.

I'm trying to work out the best way of mounting the flue pipe through the s= lab without it being wobbly.

My current plan is to place a peice of pipe slightly larger in diameter tha= n the flue into the concrete while it's setting and then remove it when the= concrete is firm enough to keep the shape. Then when the concrete is in pl= ace on top of the smoker, to insert the flue with some fire rope to pack ou= t the small gap and fix a locking collar around it so it doesn't slip down = too far.

But, in my mind this won't be particularly sturdy but I can't find anything= to help me mount it in place.

How would you guys do this?

Reply to
Seri

I'm going to be casting a concrete slab as the roof for the smoker about 4cm thick (just over 1.5") and am planning to use 5" single wall enamelled flue pipe.

I'm trying to work out the best way of mounting the flue pipe through the slab without it being wobbly.

My current plan is to place a peice of pipe slightly larger in diameter than the flue into the concrete while it's setting and then remove it when the concrete is firm enough to keep the shape. Then when the concrete is in place on top of the smoker, to insert the flue with some fire rope to pack out the small gap and fix a locking collar around it so it doesn't slip down too far.

But, in my mind this won't be particularly sturdy but I can't find anything to help me mount it in place.

How would you guys do this?

I've never heard of a brick smoker but presume this is a sort of kiln. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Could you not make the slab taper from 4cm at the edge to (say) 10cm at the centre and incorporate a conventional clay chimney pot? Just my 2p's worth and I really don't know. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

It is a device for smoking food. Essentially an enclosure with a door, a vertical through flow of air and a way to burn wood chips at the bottom to create the smoke.

That sounds a good suggestion, although some people just build the chimney in brick as well.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar