Securing a metal farm gate....

bit "off piste" but fishing for ideas really :-)
I want to try & secure a metal farm type gate to stop twerps opening it and turning their chav mobiles around in the yard beyond. Complicated by the need for the postman to access and turn around usually max once a day....
Any lateral thinking or thought trains I can catch a lift on?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
jim <k> wrote:

Simple 4 digit bicycle combination lock?
Tim
--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile

jim <k> wrote:

padlock and chain with a combination lock. The postman can be told the combination
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 2016-09-08, jim <k> wrote:

Combination lock? Tell the postie the combination.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 32nd day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3182
I don't have an attitude problem.
On Thu, 8 Sep 2016 15:57:15 +0100 (GMT+01:00), jim <k> wrote:

Ask the postman if there is a standard 'Royal Mail' key. I remember years ago there was an LFB * key that could be used for padlocks where emergency access might be needed. If it is a regular postman, maybe you could donate a key to be kept in the van.
* London Fire Brigade
jim <k> wrote:

Would it matter? If it's only to dissuade folk from turning around there it probably only needs to look vaguely locked. A couple of loops of chain wrapped around would probably be more than enough to put off all but the nefarious from entering your yard.
Tim
--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

Wrote in message:

Trouble is that it might not be that easy to get the postman to loop the chain again as he leaves.
Wrote in message:

Some arrangement where the gate looks like its chained but in fact isnt and which doesn’t require the postman to do anything at all except realise that it isnt chained should work well.
Maybe that's what you meant.
On 9/8/2016 5:31 PM, KYW wrote:

locked, but it isn't. In fact it looks _so_ locked, that I've had cousins climb over the fence to get up to the house... The postie has no trouble with it.

Yeah, I have the same thing myself. Looks like the gate is locked but you have to look closely to see that it isnt actually locked at all.

Yeah, had the same thing with my next door neighbour, he as about to climb over the fence to get home until I told him that it just looks locked.

Yeah, once you know its not something most forget.
"jim" wrote in message

Our farm gate has an electrical opener, but only operated when you've driven about 30 foot off the road. Postie drives in and turns every day, but the fact that the gate is shut and has cameras pointing at it (so far) has deterred the unwashed entering.
Andrew
On 08/09/2016 18:54, jim wrote:

Farmers are generally unwashed in my experience.
Bill