Securing 1/2" tails into new radiator

As per header, do you recommend using ptfe tape (if so how many turns) or pipe jointing compound, or doesn't it matter.

TIA

Jon

Reply to
jon

I'm a traditionalist. I used hemp and Boss White.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Doesn't really matter, PTFE is easier to get and use though, & less messy. Use *plenty* of tape, really roll it on until the sharp threads appear more like corrugations under the tape. Take care with "Barlo" type rads with bosses let into the back panel not to swing on the allen key *too* much, it's possible to distort the panel if you're very ham-fisted. Make sure you wind the tape on the right way. Take care not to damage the mating surface (for the valve).

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In article , jon writes

I vote for gel type sealants, available in a tube, easy to use and pretty such foolproof. Search or ask a plumbers' merchant for thread sealant:

?ts=84143&id=12693 5quid or
8quid

Reply to
fred

I use PTFE tape, and give it at least 3 turns. One pair of valves which I bought a few years ago came with tails which were pre-coated with a PTFE-like substance, and which didn't need anything extra.

Reply to
Set Square