Secondary glazing

I'm considering fitting secondary glazing over some of my sash windows.

I see in doing a google on this that a lot of sellers are offering adhesive steel tape and matching magnetic tape to be attached to 3mm acrylic.

Has anyone tried this and does it work ? The use of magnetic attachment is attractive but I'm wondering if the tape option is better than discrete magnets.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I've had the tape kind, and it worked fine. The magnetic plastic strip provides a reasonably draught-free seal.

Be careful about the sheet you use. One batch of mine lasted well, another became cloudy and very fragile after only a short time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Use polycarbonate sheet brand name Makrolon etc (not perspex) with UV inhibitor and fit with the right side to the sunlight.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I wa looking at this a few days ago as a temporary fix for some of my worst windows until I get to dealing with them. Looks like a good idea but from the prices I saw, it looked a better bet to do it with a sheet of glass (sized to butt up to the staff beads and sit on the cill). Hadn't got as far as working out how to hold it there.....

Reply to
GMM