Second coat of shed paint 'splitting'

Wife bought a shed a few weeks ago, and is setting about making it look 'pretty' with a sage paint. On recommendations here we got cuprinol shades which went on beautifully on the first coat.

However the second coat seems to be separating when being applied - almost as if there's some contaminant like white spirit which helps it to split a few seconds after it has been applied.

She hasn't used anything other than water to clean the brushes and the shed isn't in direct sunlight.

Any experience of this; is it normal?

Cheers!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

A bit of a guess here because I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'splitting'. Possibly the paint she applied is a dilute emulsion of an oil(1) of some sort in water. When applied to raw wood, this goes on evenly and soaks in a little, then dries to give a uniform water-repellant surface. If you then apply a second coat, it is 'repelled' by the dry first coat, like putting water on a greasy surface. As I said, a bit of a guess. Were there any instructions on the tin about applying a second coat, like applying it within a certain time after the first before it has time to dry fully?

(1) using the term loosely.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes, that's the sort of effect. I've actually just taken time to read the= ir website about the second coat and it says "Cuprinol Garden Shades will b= e touch dry in 1 hour under normal weather conditions. Where a second coat = is required, allow up to 8 hours in between coats." Unfortunately she coul= dn't get the second coat on within 8 hours due to weather / kids etc, and I= suspect she's mis-read it as "allow up to 8 hours for drying before applyi= ng second coat". It would be helpful if it said "it is essential that the s= econd coat is applied within 8 hours" as she might have done fewer panels w= ith 2 coats instead of the whole shed with 1 coat.

We'll just have to put up with it looking odd when it is applied, and hopef= ully it will dry out just fine anyway..

Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Hmmm -- personally I'd have read their instructions as meaning "you may have to allow up to 8 hours before you can apply a second coat". That is, "you can apply a second after at most 8 hours".

If I'd been doing this myself, it would *definitely* have been more than

8 hours before I applied a second coat, i.e. before I could bring myself to start painting again!

J.

Reply to
Another John

It is possible that the shed still contained moisture, this happened to my new shed, I had to wait a few weeks for the wood to completely dry-out before attempting painting. Even with a water based treatment it can still lift the new paint when dry as the wood starts to emit moisture.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I had no trouble with a second of paint on my shed using the same paint and even the same colour but mine was not new and previously been painted with old engine oil ('cos I was skint and that came free!) So I think Stephen must be right. He obviously knows more about paint than me of course there are other amongst us who know everything!

Robbie

Reply to
Roberts