Second best DIY accessory ever?

Had to take out a kitchen sink yesterday to replace a tap. As I was contemplating the misery of grovelling around on quarry tiles, I remembered that we treated our old greyhound to a "memory foam" dog bed for her last few weeks. This made the job *very* much more comfortable.

Oh, and the best accessory is of course the wet and dry vac to clean up the inevitable spills from the necessary disconnections.

Reply to
newshound

I had a memory foam mattress, I may have kept it too long because in the end it remembered all the lumps.

Its replacement wasn't.

Reply to
Graham.

Last week, after about half an hour of kneeling on the the shed roof, fixing the battens to take the onduline, I soon realised my knees were

*not* going to accept much more of that treatment, so got some 'strap on' knee pads from Screwfix ... sweaty knees far more preferable to knackered knee caps.

Just finished fixing the sheets and ridge cap, with very large thanks to the bloke next door, I nearly started it on my own one afternoon last week, that would have been a mistake, definitely a two-man job to keep everything aligned as seen from roof *and* ground level.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, I succumbed gratefully to my first pair of those about 10 years ago.

Of course what you now have to look forward to is the first time that you forget to strap them on, and then drop down to your knees onto a concrete floor with your now-customary thunk... you'll only forget the once, believe me.

Reply to
Lobster

I wish I'd had them while crawling over the rafters in the loft to top-up the insulation a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've tried a couple of pairs of strap ons but found the straps dug into the backs of my knees and made them sore, worse than sore knees.

Got a pair of work trousers with knee pad pockets. Much better and you don't forget to put them on. B-) They do have a tendancy to slip round in the pocket and get out of alignment, must get SWMBO'd to put some stitches in to stop that.

I also have a sheet of foam cushion flooring for use when wearing boiler suit rather than work trousers.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Haven't found that an issue, less grip from plastic on sloping surface a slight issue, whether there are some available with softer fronts I don't know, maybe they'd wear out too quickly?

I'm not talking about sore, I'm talking about downright painful, quite likely I've got smaller knees and/or a bigger gut that you :-)

This morning, I'm being reminded by the bones in my arse and elbows that I didn't buy *them* any pads.

I did consider it when the 'cheapish' Snickers were mentioned a month or two ago, but there's no chance SF were going to have my size in stock, so at short notice I had to get the strap-ons.

Reply to
Andy Burns

We had one of those "memory foam" mattreses, wish I knew where it was?

I'll get my coat

Reply to
johno

I've got an old foam bed roll that I kneel on. I also cut bits off it when I need something, um, foamy. I'm not sure if that is a sustainable situation. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

They also don't go very large if one has a bit of "middle age spread". Think the biggest most places do is 38" and with a peculiar cut. I guess most people buying such work trousers are physically active 8 hours/day 5 days/week and are some what slimer than yer average DIYer. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yers, they do make a size that on paper would fit me, but only one :-(

Reply to
Andy Burns

I went with TMH's suggestion of bib'n'brace style overalls that have pockets for knee pads. Much easier on the back of the legs than straps as well. Only downside when its really hot, is you have another layer of clothing you could probably do without.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1.

Actually if it is too warm, I *just* wear a boiler suit, or bib & brace with a tee shirt. I have a boiler suit with pockets for knee pads, but they are bottom entry and the pads move around a bit. Top entry would be better.

Reply to
newshound

I thought the bottom entry on my ones were a pain until SWMBO pointed out that there was an extra kind of cuff at the opening of the pocket to retain the other end of the pad... worked so much better than the tape I had been using ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You mean like a pillow case?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yup, that sort of thing...

Reply to
John Rumm

All of my bib & brace overalls have knee pad pockets, I get them (embroidered) from a proper work clothing firm who have all sizes up to 3XL;

Annoying that SF & TS don't cater for the FB market.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman