Seasons Greetings!

[16 lines snipped]

I got up early (5:30 for a few years) most of my working life, and I'm not doing it any more.

Ah, good point.

Reply to
Huge

Interestingly, the goose (*) took about an hour less than I expected. Probably because we didn't stuff it, since the stuffing becomes saturated with fat (we got about a pint of fat out of a 4.5kg goose). Fortunately, it was quite happy sat on top of the boiler to keep warm while I cooked everything else.

(* Won't have one again. V. greasy, not much meat for the cost and indistinguishable from duck.)

Reply to
Huge

Dogs damned well do. Mostly they only get up when they are hungry or need a pee.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hope you saved the fat to roast the spuds in? (that's what that tosser Jamie off the telly would have done).

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I used to try to get the turkey and everything else all to be ready at the same time despite being repeatedly told that the turkey should be finished first and left to 'rest', despite it having done bugger all except sit in a roasting tin!

This year I took the advice and timed it to be ready an hour before the meal was due to be served. Jamie O suggested two hours but that seemed to be way too long and I don't like my meat cold.

Result!

After starting it 15 minutes later than intended, it was still ready in time to avoid having to delay everything else. It also freed up one of the two ovens and it was easier to carve.

Back on diy - my roast tatties:

Cut small - about the volume of a large hen's egg.

Parboil for a few mins, drain and shake in pan.

Place in dry bowl and shake with flour, paprika, rosemary, pepper and salt (change this as you will, but salt+flour is essential and paprika gives a nice colour).

Heat beef dripping in a large saucepan and place dry potatoes in a few at a time, baste and remove with slotted metal spoon onto a non stick or lightly greased baking tray.

Oven roast for 60-90 mins at whatever the oven is running at for the meat (160C for me).

No need to baste, turn or have them swimming in fat - they work like oven ready frozen roast spuds now. A little extra wibbling at the start avoids any work in the baking phase and leaves a slightly greasy tray to wash up.

Happy doing nothing day :)

Tim

Off to level-up on Splatoon - SWMBO is out, so me and matey are gaming our faces off!

Reply to
Tim Watts

We did, but TBH they were no better than the ones my wife normally does in olive oil.

Reply to
Huge

And if it was cold, windy or raining, even two whippets and a lurcher (all known to love a good run) will turn round at the front door and head back for the lounge, even after you have announced 'walkies' and got their leads on. ;-)

It was the looks you got from all three of them ... 'If you think we are going out there in that when there is a warm fire to lay in front of you must be mental ...'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Wussdogs. Labrador and the terrier never turned a hair at weather, except thunder.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were generally happy with their decisions. ;-)

Ah, well the lab is well know as a 'water dog' and the terriers are generally up for most things.

Luckily, none of ours have ever been like that and because they were often in our cars (if in cars with boots / no hatchback) were very glad they were that way. ;-)

Our whippet - terrier was the smartest of all the dogs we or our family have ever had. I swear she had been here before ...

She was sufficiently smart that she could get out of my double seater kayak when I neared the bank *without* getting wet.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

We used to have a dog like that :-( Sometimes she scared the shit out of me by doing things that dogs are not really supposed to do.

16 years down the line now and it still hurts.
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Yup.

Yup ... the other dogs have been and gone but that one was a real 'mate' for a good few years so as you say, it still hurts.

She's partly why we didn't bother replacing them as they went ... you couldn't replace her and everything else would just be 'a dog'.

Still got the memories of course ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just as we have "Poppy Police" criticising any public person who does not display a poppy about 2 weeks before it is generally accepted to be normal, will we soon have people criticising people for not showing an appropriate number of fairy lights on their house. We have recently had a bank branch criticised for not having decorations in its window. Seasons Greetings of the Winter Variety.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

And which way round it should go ... like that matters compared with just wearing one in the first place (for those who do I mean).

Well, we already have that indirectly ... those who say 'bah humbug' or call people 'spoilsports' because they don't happen to want to do what they *think* is appropriate / traditional.

Hehe.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. The strange one (for me and those like me) was when commenting that we would prefer not to have to be in other peoples smoke and we were considered the spoilsports??? It was if a non-smoker didn't have as many rights as a smoker? How times have changed (and how many more things I can do and places I can go because of it). ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Actually prior to that lot taking it over, the Winter one was much more fun (or so I believe).

Reply to
newshound

Man after my own heart. For many years I would start on the 25th at 10 am with a sherry, never before mid-day on any other day of the year. In recent years one or other of the kids has normally taken over the cooking, but we were back home with just the youngest this year. I was also stuck with a crown (only frozen in the supermarkets on the 23rd, though annoyingly Sainsburys had proper ones on the 24th). Not so satisfactory, back to a full one next year.

Reply to
newshound

Greyhounds do!

Reply to
newshound

Impressive bit of hardware, but it's basically boiling it. About 40 years ago I had a little Moulinex worktop grill cooker which had a spit roasting option, and that really did cook chicken very well.

Reply to
newshound

I think my dishwasher would do a better job, no detergent of course!

No ceiling full of e.coli either!

Reply to
Fredxxx

Did it nest in trees?