Seasoning Wood in a Cellar

splitting due to differential drying, but the rate of expansion and contraction of the wood is radically different between three axes - along the grain, radially from the heartwood and tangential to the bole circumference.

A thin cross section of a trunk will ALWAYS suffer radial cracks no matter how carefully it is dried unless the water content is held high by soaking the wood in some form of water retaining or water replacement chemical.

This actually presents the wood processor with real problems. Thin sheets will dry faster, without splitting, but may end up warped on drying. And cannot be made to bigger sections thereafter. Ultra thick sections will crack anyway regardless of the drying regime.

One appreciates why so much wood ends up as pulp or chipboard..the wastage is pretty massive. The wood processors I have spoken to, reckon on about 40% wastage in most bulk bouht timber, for one reason or another.

I was not aware of the property changes in dried wood, except in a crude subjective way: green oak works much easier than dry, and green willow splits more easily than dry.

I had also not appreciated the sterilization effects of kiln drying.

And, whilst extremely informative, it didn't really answer the question of "how long and how much ventilation?"

The very best book I have found on wood as an engineering material is 'Understanding Wood' by an America Author - Hoadley.

I must replace my copy. I gave it to the carpenters who built my house..

It's an absolute must for anyone doing more than nailing softwood together for frames..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's simple physics, if you remove water by saturating or increasing the RH of a volume of air you either provide heat at 2.3MJ/kg of water vapourised or the air temperature drops.

I shall not comment on the your further naive assumptions about kiln drying.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie

Yes, but that happens naturally with *very* modest ventilation. The latent heat of evaporation of a few kliograms of water is not exactly massive..

Whats up with you anyway?

Wrong time of the month?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher