Searching for a new boiler: Viessmann OK?

I need a new boiler.

Gotta be condensing nowadays, no choice on that. Don't want to change from my current conventional open vent system. Current sizing of 18kW is OK.

After reading the new boiler FAQ, reading through specs and so on... the shortlist was down to Viessmann Vitodens 100 and Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 418.

I am currently leaning on Viessmann due to smaller size and perceived better build due to its 10 yrs heat exchanger warrany. I say perceived because maybe all heat exchanger lasts this long anyway!

However, I realized that the Viessmann seems to be less "popular" than Vaillant (which in turn is of course less popular than Baxi or Worcester-Bosch.. but I digress).

In fact as listed on Viessmann.co.uk I can't find "installers" listed in my area, although I'm sure in general most CORGI engineers will be able to fit it just fine.

So, as a final sanity check, whatddya all think, do I opt for more "pop" and go for the Vaillant or stick to my guns and specify Viessmann to my local friendly installers?

-- Perry Ismangil

Reply to
ismangil

Only you can decide that. You have reduced to a short list of two so inevitably its a close call technically. The boiler discount prices are similar. BTW the Viessmann "10 yr heat exchanger warranty" like most warranties is a "10 yr warranty (conditions apply)" warranty. The conditions probably affect the costings.

Get some quotes for both and revist the question.

An unasked question is what is what is the ongoing cost of your maintenance strategy?

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Frankly the heat exchanger is the least likely component to go wrong on a condensing boiler. In both cases they are stainless steel. The _boiler_ could probably handle dilute hydrochloric acid as a primary working fluid.

I've been tempted to install a Viessmann a couple of times and have quoted it as an option. The local "cash & carry" boiler merchant stocks Keston, Baxi, Biasi and Vaillant. The shop at the bottom of the road can get me most boilers by noon next day. With the smaller makes spares availability could be an issue.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ed thanks for the reply, your Choosing a Boiler FAQ did educate me so much.

Yes, after getting a few quotes I think I am now leaning towards Vaillant instead. Looking at the specs I believe it's a perfect match to the "generic" ideal boiler you mentioned in your FAQ, right down to the laptop connection ;)

Slightly related rant: Independent fitters vs big national/regional guys. The big guys can give a firm quote on the spot. The independent fitters need several days... I know, I know, the quote on the spot will be much more expensive as they just probably mark it up to play safe. But the chill in your cold unheateable house doesn't help in thinking straight!

Reply to
ismangil