sealing tile/bath edge interface?

I am about to retile the bathroom round the back edge and top/bottom ends of a normal rectangular bath. The old tiles were sealed used a run of silicon sealant. I had hoped to use a proprietary bath sealing strip and bought a strip of homelux from B & Q. I dont feel that it would make a very good job though and that if that all there is, a run of silicon would do a better,neater job!!. In my old house the bath seal was a very neat fleaxible low profile affair with a top edge which was fitted under the tiles when they were fitted(it had a self adhesive backing strip to hold it onto the wall whilst tiling) and the lower edge went around the bath and was flexible enough to account for any irregularities. I cant find this anywhere though.

At least if i just silicon it,i can remove and re-do it if it starts looking worn whereas once the homelux strip is in place,its there to stay..

Ive also looked at

but i dont think this would do either because the edges of the bath have a slight upward curve whereas this product seems to require a totally horizontally flat edge.

any thoughts??

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I've just used this product (last weekend), and plan to do a writeup of it.

Overall it's pretty neat, and gives a very nice finish. You'd probably get away with 1-2mm off-squareness on the angle, but no more.

Reply to
Grunff

But surely you need to also be able to cut very accurate mitres and glue them ???

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

No! It comes ready mitered! You just cut to length and silicone in place.

What you do is apply a huge bead of silicone, then push the pieces in on top. The result is a very good seal, and a very big mess (cleaning it is the most unpleasant part of the job).

Reply to
Grunff

Nah! silicone sealant every time - but lay down masking tape on both bath and tiles, sealing the corner gap in between. Run your finger immediately along to 'neaten' the bead, and strip off the tape after about 30 minutes. All the overspill is on the tape - no mess. Perfick!

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Yep,ive decided on this route and am well into my tiling as i type. The naff seal strip will be going back to B & Q

thanks

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin