Sealing the lids on paint tins

You can get one size packs from screwfix and the like. I tend to get cheapies and throw them for all undercoats and a Harris or something like that for finishing and then immediately clean it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hmm! £12 per brush @ 5 minutes to clean = £144 per hour, what does he paint or does he use cr@p brushes? I have some I paid about 15p each for but they ain't for putting gloss on doors.

Reply to
dennis

That's the container (a large ex-pickled cabbage glass jar works for me) you use to give your brush its first clean with white spirit. You then leave the contents for a week or two, until the paint settles into a sludge, then decant off the white spirit for re-use. Put the jar away for a few months, until the sludge solidifies, then remove the sludge, and dispose of it as a solid lump. Re-use the jar for brush cleaning etc.

Don't you line your shelves with sheets of newspaper?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

But will it take a 8"x10" enlarger?

I changed in 2003 (shot my last film), my enlargers(2) are still in the darkroom with a wet bench, colour processor and film processor.

I haven't looked back, better for my health not breathing or touching chemicals.

I can digitize old film formats, manipulate to any film texture and print to 24" wide on the Epson printer.

But I'm thinking of resurrecting my 120 panoramic cameras and the E6 processor. i don't like the feel of digital images.

Rob

Possibly not, but I don't use bigger than 120 rollfilm, anyway.

Another excellent reason. Which reminds me...

I know for a fact that the detail inside the silhouette couldn't possibly be reproduce on *any* digital printout. Black on darker black, it is, and *very* subtle.

Reply to
John Williamson

Try this technique:

  1. Swish brush in 100% mineral spirits ten times. Remove excess (I use a brush spinner).
  2. Swish brush in 50-50 mix of mineral spirits and alcohol ten times. Remove excess.
  3. Swish brush in 100% alcohol ten times. Remove excess.

Done.

For latex or water-based paints, add fabric softener to the water in which you swish the brush.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well yes they can now - my printer has 4 blacks, three are used at anyone time, which enable you to reproduce a very good grey scale.(Epson

7900 11 inks) unlike the others that mix colours to imitate black. I think that the blacks would show better detail than the Ciba, which I found too contrasty. r
Reply to
Rob

He must be made of money unless he uses cheap brushes and by using cheap throw away brushes how does he produce a decent finish. This painter can't value his work very much.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I buy semi expensive brushes. Can't imagine throwing them away after every job. It does not take long to clean a brush specially if you use a paint cleaning comb.

Reply to
Rich

Don't forget to exhale ten times.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

The only disadvantage (as I pointed out upthread) is that this creates a bit of a mess when it has to be removed.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Back in the days before digital cameras, we used to use collapsable plastic jars for chemicals used to process film and prints. Same reasons - keep the volume of air contained inside to a minimum.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Less of a mess than the skin? :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Sure you can. Put your computer desk in the darkroom.

Reply to
clare

What's half an hour of time worth? For a DIY job you can mabee forget about it - but commercially that buys a pretty decent brush.

For day to day, the cling wrap in the refrigerator works well. And the same painter, when doing apartments etc - all the same colour - DOES stretch a brush - uncleaned - that way.

He buys his brushes in bulk from a brush distributor - and his roller sleeves.

Reply to
clare

RE: Subject

That's why propane torches and dead weight hammers exist.

Haven't had a can of paint skin over in years.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And spin around three times whilst scratching your ear.

Reply to
Man at B&Q

For cleaning brushes, a spinner is mandatory. Something like this:

method is to use a jar/can just big enough for the brush. Put in a small amount of solvent and clean out the brush, then spin the brush in a cardboard box. Dump the small amount of dirty solvent in a different jar or can. Repeat several times.

Save the old dirty thinner, and next time, all the heavy pigments settle to the bottom and the old thinner is now clean.. Use the old thinner to clean next time, only using a bit of new thinner for the last couple of cleans. This is really easy, uses almost no thinner and really keeps your brushes nice.

You need 3 cans/jars to do this, one for storing old thinner, one to clean the brush, and an intermediate one to store the newly dirty thinner. When done, pour the dirty thinner into the old thinner storage can. You can use lacquer thinner but lacquer suspends the pigments forever, while turps or mineral spirits lets the pigments drop to the bottom, leaving clean thinner.

Don't use your good oil brushes for water based paints (hide them from your wife). Clean the cheaper plastic water brushes with just water and the spinner, or throw them away after your wife paints (and never ever cleans a brush)...

Reply to
Jack Stein

That works.

I also save dirty thinners and allow the pigments to settle.

By Lacquer thinners do you mean Cellulose thinner? However using Cellulose/Lacquer type thinners will destroy the natural spring in the brush resulting in a useless floppy brush.

You have described the above method the wrong way round though, Turps will coagulate the paint whereas Cellulose or as you call it lacquer thinner will draw the paint completely out of the bristle stock, as does mineral Naphtha but Naphtha will not destroy the spring in a natural bristle brush.

Stephen.

Reply to
stephen.hull

I heard THAT. I've had more than one $20 Purdy brush ruined by the wife...

Reply to
Steve Turner