sealing the bath

Hi all,

I'm currently tiling my bathroom and as I'm a tiling virgin I'm having a few worries about how to get a decent seal between the tiles and the bath.

Most baths I've seen just have the tiles butting up to the top edge of the bath. This is then sealed with regular sealant - all fine and dandy.

However, I was chatting to my plumber who fitted the bath - and he was saying that as I have an acryllic (sp) bath I should use a finishing strip. This is becuase the bath will move a fair bit, breaking any seal I might otherwise get using regular sealant.

The stuff I've bought is Homelux PRO SEALASTRIP.

got any thoughts, comments experiences, advice they can give in this area?

Cheers, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Make sure you fill the bath with water before tiling/sealing

Reply to
Ric

he is half talking sense.

If you make sure the acrylic bath is FIRMLY mounted - you can superglue strips of wood inside the rim, and glue them onto teh wll by the way using intremediate strips to pack out to get a flush glue line, and you can use car body filler to glue teh bath to almost anything including fresh plaster, then tile to your useal gap - say 4mm, and grout that line with flexible silicone, the job is done.

The diffrenec is the amount of effort you as a home owner are prepared to go to to get a decent finoish versus what a builder on a price can do to make an acceptable job of the cheapest and naffest of B & Q flexible baths..

I mean, in the final analysis you could e.g. fill the entire void under tha bath with expanding foam. It won't move then...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This product has been mentioned before, I intend to use it when refurbishing my bathroom later this year. If it does what it claims the bath or shower should mever leak :-)

Alistair

When the bath in my last house was installed. a bead of silicone sealant was run around the bath where it was against the wall. The tiles were then fixed to the wall and over this first bead of silicone. a second bead then went on around the bath and against the new tiles. After five years of use there were no signs of leaking.

Julian Ashcroft

Reply to
Julian Ashcroft