Sealing leak on extension roof through the flashing

I've got water coming in my extension when it is windy / heavy rain fall. It is running down what was the original outside wall but is obviously now the inner wall of the extension. It must be coming through the flashing at some point. Can anyone recommend a sealer / paint I can paint over this part of the roof. I'd imagine it would need to be something that can be applied in wet / damp conditions. It is a felt based roof.

Many thanks

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Do you think it's the flashing or roof that's the problem? Do you have proper lead flashing that's cut into the wall, or is it one of those 'stick-on' jobs? Is water puddling on the roof at all? Does the roofing felt go far enough up behind the flashing - usually needs to be six inches or so?

In my experience 'paint-on' or 'stick-on' solutions are a waste of time. Water, especially heavy driven rain, ALWAYS finds a way in.

I spent a lot of time repairing an aged felt roof before realising I was on a hiding to nothing. Eventually I had it replaced by a conventional pitched roof. No problems since.

If the leak appears to be at the join of the felt roof to the original outside wall, I'd get up there and have a close look at the condition, nature, security, etc, of the flashing. It might have come loose, in which case it will just need wedging in place and fixing with mortar.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

This stuff is very good, I have used it myself when all else failed. Its magic click on

Performance Acrylic roof repair coating

Reply to
Aoilyboy

If you are looking for a relatively short tem fix (a few years) use Flashband. An ?Evode? product but available from sheds as own brand. It is an aluminium strip with an approx 3mm bitumen backing. If you are sure that it is the flashing/brickwork joint that is the problem use 4 inch wide flashband over the joint first of all applying the primer as per instructions and then pushing the flashband firmly into the uneven mortar joints, trying not to break the aluminium layer. I have used this with considerable success in this situation and tpo seal cracks in a flat roof. It is not a permanent solution, but will postpone the evil day for a few years at little cost

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

The message from Malcolm Race contains these words:

Wallpaper roller is good for this.

Reply to
Guy King

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for all the suggestions. The leak only appears to happen when the rain is virtually horizontal due to the wind so I'd guess it is making its way up under the flashing which has been cut into the existing brickwork.

Although the roof isn't flat its hardly sloping. It is probably under

10degrees so that won't be helping either.

Once we get a decent dry spell I'll get up on it and inspect it for damage.

Cheers

Steven.

Reply to
Steven Campbell