sealing block paving

Anybody here had their block paved driveway sealed ?. I don't mean the final sand seal, but a coating to prevent oil etc staining it. How long has it been done and how well does it last. We are having our drive done in the next few weeks ( weather permitting) and they want another £350 to seal it. Anybody done a diy seal ?, views ?

Cheers

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

We had a drive and path installed last autumn and the installers wanted £250 (cash in hand) extra to seal it, with one coat. I bought the stuff myself from B&Q and gave it the recommended two coats for about £80. Easy enough with a long-handled roller; smells a bit petrolly for a day or two though. I couldn't find out how long the sealant is supposed to last. It was and is still repelling rainwater well enough - incidentally showing up a couple of problems such as insufficiently-angled slopes which I had to get the installers back tofix!

Reply to
rrh

Ive heard that pouring oil over it seal it agianst oild rather well :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Dave Stanton writes

Cormaic's site:

Is great for all things paving related (and more)

And while I'm not a good fan of web forums, There are also so good forums there for paving specific advice

Reply to
chris French

What's the B&Q stuff called - and what quantities does it come in?

Reply to
Set Square

Thanks everyone

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

On my last place I had pattern imprinted concrete drive & patio .... you need to re-seal every 3 years or so to keep it looking good. The company wanted 500 pounds to do this ... I did a search on google and bough 25Litre of the seal incl delivery for 90 pounds .... The site advised it was suitable for block paving as well ....

Very easy to apply ... pressure wash to get clean and allow to dry fully ... must be complete dry, then apply with roller. They include the correct thinner with it (Xylene).

Can't recall the name now .... but I found via Google.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Hughes