Sealing bath waste

Am having great difficulties getting the waste to seal on a twin walled/skinned bath. Acrylic bath.

The problem is that when tightening the waste fittings the two skins of the bath move towards each other and likely to break if tightenened enough to make a seal. The gap between the skins is about 15mm.

Any advise please.

mark

Reply to
mark

remove waste, fill gap with plenty silicone keeping opening clear (of course) allow to set then refit waste with plenty more silicone?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Fill the gap between skins with silicone, let it set, then the waste can be tightened with only a small deflection between the 2 skins.

Reply to
A.Lee

fill the gap with something - car body filler silicone or expanding foam, first.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Make hole in outer skin bigger so the waste fitting only needs to clamp on the inner skin. You might be able to get away with just a couple of slots opposite each other to slip the fixing nut through then drop the waste in.

If you fill the gap and you get a leak between the waste and inner skin but not between the waste and outer sking the gap between the skins will fill up with bath water... That'll be really ripe after a few months years...

I think you'd have a job ensuring a perfect seal all the way round between the skins.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

certainly lateral...

eh?? so waste water will abandon the easiest, gravity driven, low pressure way out (of down the waste pipe) & force it's way, against air pressure, into the void between two skins of the bath? yeah right! ha ha ha;>)

the compression of the waste will shurely lend a hand?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Is there no spacer there, I thought that was how these worked?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks for the replies. By way of feedback: I've filled the gap with silicone in several stages.

mark

Reply to
mark