Sealing bath/sink waste (again!!)

Just iftting a new bathroom,,the new ones arent as good as the older stuff are they and neither are the fittings!!. I note the bath waste is made of plastic and instead of the old style threaded flange with back nut,this is a two piece plastic thing with rubber seals and the only thing holding it together is a machine screw down the centre of the waste from inside the bath which engages with a brass insert which is fixed in the lower half of the plastic waste..it doesnt look very solid,do they ever fail/flood the place?

Also,given that washers are supplied,is it still a good idea to use silicone sealant on the washers/flanges?

ta

joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

I've just fitted something similar and note what you say about the new style wastes not looking particularly substantial. I assembled mine with a smear of silicone on all mating surfaces, tightened up the screw down the middle tight enough so that any tighter I'd worry about stripping the threads, and it's all okay so far.

Purists might advise against putting silicone on everything for good measure but you can't see it and it can't do any harm, so if it gives a bit of extra peace of mind then why not.

I would advise not boxing in the bath completely for a couple of weeks afterwards so you can see if a leak develops. In my case I had no leaks from this particular part of the plumbing, but did have a slow leak from a compression joint, so it's worth keeping an eye on for a while.

Reply to
Winged Cat

it's imperative to use *plenty* of silicone when dressing the bath and sink. I usually dress the bath and sink the night before I'm fitting it and leave it overnight to set. usually works 1st time. usually.

RT

Reply to
[news]