Sealing around the outside of a uPVC window - which silicone?

The uPVC window in my bathroom (installed some twelve years ago) has started to admit rain. The leak seems to be across the top of the outer frame, so the water is presumably getting through the existing exterior silicone beading. It should be a simple job to dig it out and replace it, but which of the many different varieties should I use for the new seal?

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Just to clarify: Toolstation, for example, stock a Window & Door Frame Sealant, a General Purpose HMA Silicone, a Neutral Cure Low Modulus Silicone, a Glazing Silicone, a Premium Building Silicone, and more besides. Several of them specify "weather sealing", but is there any one particular type which I should go for? This is a uPVC frame in a brick outer wall.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Neutral Cure Low Modulus Silicone. That one

Reply to
ARW

Great, thanks, Adam.

Reply to
Bert Coules

In article , ARW writes

Or polysulphide if you want the option to overpaint later:

fred

TBH cheapo frame sealant (acrylic?) has been fine for me several times over.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Bear in mind, it may not be the silicon bead. There may be some building defect above the window opening. Pointing, gutter blocked/leaking etc.

Reply to
harryagain

Low modulus, neutral cure.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That takes an absolute age (days/weeks) to set, and stinks of bad eggs while doing so ... makes a change from stinking of vinegar I suppose.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That does seem to be the consensus. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Erm it is outside, isn't it?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Well, it was both sides of a low threshold door in a garage that I used it, but for Bert's purposes yes it probably doesn't matter.

Reply to
Andy Burns