Sealing an oil-boiler supply-pipe

The oil supply-pipe to my oil boiler has started weeping at the junction where it goes into the shut-off valve.

I've tried tightening the nut (which clamps down on the olive) but it still weeps.

I guess I need to take the joint apart and put some sealant on the olive, then re-assemble the joint.

The question is - what kind of sealant? PTFE tape (or would the oil dissolve that?)?

(The obvious alternative is to take the joint apart, cut off the last inch and reassemble with a new olive - but this isn't possible because the ****** who assembled it in the first place cut the pipe so short that there's not enough left to do this :-( )

Any suggestions?

Ta!

Huw Francis

Reply to
huwwho

No, oil won't dissolve PTFE. In fact, nothing dissolves PTFE.

I'd be inclined to remake the joint, but if it really is as much hassle as you say, try the PTFE option first.

Reply to
Grunff

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com submitted this idea :

I would be inclined to give the PTFE tape a shot, but others might know better(?).

Could you not just saw part way through the olive, then split it by inserting a screwdriver and turning it? Then just fit your new olive - thus avoiding the need to cut the pipe.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why not buy some leak stopper? It comes as two small strips in a plastic container. You just mix a bit of each together and put it all around the joint. It sets rock hard and can also set under water. Available for about £1-50 from DIY shops.

Reply to
frank

We always use Hermetite (red liquid form, around £8.00 from motor trade) - always seems to do the trick. just smear around olive - quite messy though.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

As the joint is still leaking after being tightened the chances are the pipe is distorted to much to seal, new olive or not.

PTFE tape might work but you won't be able to get it between the olive and pipe only between the olive and connector, there might be suffcient compressed onto the pipe to from a seal but how long for?

I think I'd cut off the damaged pipe end and insert a new bit of pipe with new olives and two couplings, one of which will have to be a "slip" type. Might try a blag 6" of pipe from the merchants when buying the olives and slip coupling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd be inclined to cut back to good and use ywo compression joints,.

I HATE this oil piope. I have so manyt leaks in it -0 every time somnle kicks a joint, it leaks.

PTFE is useless on a compression joint. I used some red gunk - forget the name - that is uses to seal gas pipes. This has worked on most of the bad joints, and replacing plus red gunk worked ion the rest.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thats the stuff. It really works..disassemble, fill with heremetite, and reassemble.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher