sealing a glass door panel

One of our inner doors has a glass panel which is held in place by beading - which I don't want to disturb. Because the glass panel isn't sealed, it rattles loudly whenever the door is opened or closed. Is there some clear, low viscosity liquid adhesive I could apply to the narrow space between the glass and the beading that would be drawn into the gap by capillary attraction and give a seal ?

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

Jim Hawkins expressed precisely :

Just a suggestion to throw into the pot - Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure. I know you you don't need water proof, but it does flow very well to seal small gaps.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Why not just roll some putty 'till it is nice and soft, and force it down between glass and beading with a putty knife?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's rattling because of a lack of bedding putty, then the easiest cure will be to remove the glazing beads and install a thin bedding putty or glazing tape and then refix the beads. Admittedly this will entail some redecoration, but it will be the least troublesome way of doing the job.

If you go about the above and find that there is a bedding already there - but ineffective, remember to clear ALL of this out and make sure that the rebates are free of any lumps and bumps that can stick up through the bedding as these will almost certainly cause the glass to crack as you are bedding it.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

+1 - marvellous stuff! Available from ship's chandlers or online. A hypodermic syringe with a blunt needle helps to you apply it where you need it - wipe off any spills before it sets!
Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Exactly what I was about to suggest. AIUI, it's just thinned-down PVA in a handy applicator, so that might be worth a try first.

Maybe the OP's name helped us all think of it...?

Reply to
Adrian

If you use other than putty, repairs will be more difficult with breakages.

Reply to
F Murtz

It's rather expensive for thinned down PVA - and isn't it meant to be totally waterproof?

FWIW I tried it on the windscreen on the old Rover which was notorious for leaking. Waste of money.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think it's a bit cleverer than PVA (or so it says on the bottle! - but then, they would say that, wouldn't they ?)

Worked well on various leaks on the Moggie Traveller (windscreen, various rubber bits) - and as a (budget) means of stiffening up stained-glass panels where the putty's dried out.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Cyanoacrylate glue? Just a drop here and there, to stop the rattling...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

No. Not cyanoacrylate it mists into vapour phase and consdenses on any fingerprints or defects on the nearby glass as it cures.

Dabs of clear epoxy at the point where it becomes most liquid would be my fix it of choice. You only need a couple of places anchored and the glass will stop rattling around. A slightly off normal mix will retain a certain rubbery behaviour but with much less strength possibly helpful in this situation where you want it not to be brittle.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Vaseline, squeezed in with fingers? No problems with removal later. If there are any natural rubber seals there it may tend to cause them to swell, which is an added advantage.

Reply to
newshound