sealing a bath

I read in this group (by the way what is the adress of the wiki?) that it is best to fudge a load of silicone between bath and wall and then do a nice bead.

How long should I leave between the fudging and the beading, I guess it is best to let it go off a bit.

Cheers, Rick

Reply to
R D S

My experience is not to hang around. After a short while the silicone doesn't respond to being shaped with the end of a spoon or other suitable implement and develops a surface which you end up dragging.

Reply to
Tim

Sorry, probably wasn't clear there.

I have fudged a load of silicone in the gap but have left room to do a bead independently.

Also how long do you guys leave a bath after sealing before you use it?

Reply to
R D S

Depends on when you start to smell a bit :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Fill the bath with as much water as it will take. Put 3 sandbags of sand in it and do the final seal. Wait for 48 hours and then the bath should be fine. A bit ott but it works.

My experience is that the sheds seal will tear when the bath is full of water and a heavey person is in it. Last time I sealed a bath was about 20 years ago and the Dow Corning Sealant was well known to yellow. But lasted very well and never leaked :-)

Dave

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Dave" wrote

Dow Corning 785 sealer used 4 years ago on bath with no yellowing! Used on numerous other jobs since also.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Thanks for that, Ive noted and quoted to paper.

Dave

Reply to
Dave