Sealant for metal

I have need of a mastic to weather proof the join between two painted metal components that can be over painted but still allow reasonably easy dismantling of the two components.

Any suggestions for the best one to use?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Depends a bit on the nature of the joint. If it's a butt-joint then normal external frame sealant would probably be OK. If it's a lap joint with significant area of overlap then frame sealant might end up gluing it too well, over time. Also need to consider the stiffness of the metal. Between two RSJs no polymer seal is going to be strong enough to deform the metal when you dismantle. But if it's 1/32 alloy sheet, it's likely to deform in an unsightly way.

Reply to
newshound

How close do they fit? After dismantling is there a requirement to put back together?

Thinking that any non-acid cure silicone will do the job if there is space to get a cheese wire in for dismantling.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have need of a mastic to weather proof the join between two painted metal components that can be over painted but still allow reasonably easy dismantling of the two components.

Any suggestions for the best one to use?

No substitute for

Nthkentman

Probably a seam sealer for car bodywork. From a car paint supplier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

actually if its painted decorators caulk will work

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Would car underseal do?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Don't think traditional underseal would take paint too well. Seam sealer can be smoothed with a wet finger just after applying so can look pretty good when painted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

External in all weathers?

I like the car seam filler idea best.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

pretty much. I've used it on the camper.

It probably is the best when all is said and done.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It certainly can. I'm reminded of the rusty shitheaps in the 70s with weld-on sills undersealed and spray-painted on top of that. Whatever the life expectancy of the car, most of them went to the scrappies with painted underseal intact.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon