Seal and paint onto skim-coat

I've followed the thread on the B&Q PVA disaster with personal interest. I'm redecorating several rooms, which involve Expamet corner and stop bead and 'feathered' skim-coats, as existing corners were 1" wooden dowel from the 1920's. I've used a glue product called 'Sticks Like Sh*t' to secure the Expamet beading, so far quite successfully.

Now, I have a chimney breast where the L&R sides have been skimmed flat and smooth, and the plaster has been carried round onto the front face as a 9" wide feathered surface, onto the existing mainly sound plaster

- which was painted. Some of this paint was loose, and I've used 2" parcel tape to pull off the loose stuff. So, there are 3 'problem' surfaces on the one chimney breast - old bare plaster, paint over old plaster, and gypsum skim-coat over paint over old plaster.

When I run my hand over this old plaster surface, I get a little plaster dust. When I run my hand over the new 'feathered' surface, I get a *lot more* plaster dust...

I've now fitted stop bead around the fireplace opening, and I have it in mind to apply a Polycell/Polyfilla Finish Skim product as a skim-coat - which will bring the surface out 2-3mm to the edges of this new stop bead around the opening, and improve some roughnesses higher up.

However, I want an adequate paint adherance afterwards.

My local Crown Trade store recommends shellac-based 'Zinsser Primer Sealer', then Crown Matt Vinyl emulsion.

Has anyone on the forum any relevant experience, recommendations, or horror stories to tell?

Reply to
bilbo*baggins

In message , bilbo*baggins writes

I had nearly all the rooms in the old house skimmed, I just used diluted emulsion for the first coat (about 15-20% diluted with water, depends on the paint/plaster). All was well.

Reply to
chris French