Seagull deterrents

What's the current 'best solution' to seagull nesting between chimneys? (They won't let me shoot them) Is it cages, short spikes, long spikes, barbed wire or wot?

Reply to
Jim S

If you had the answer to that one you'd be a millionaire!

Between chimneys? Do you mean on top of the stack? In which case long spikes set in mortar.

But these flying rats are rarely deterred by anything but shooting them.

Reply to
John MacLeod

In message , Jim S writes

I can confirm this stuff works....

Although for us it was pigeons around the patio, not Sea Gulls on the ridge.

Hth Someone

Reply to
somebody

Yes - between two rows of chimney pots.

Am I allowed?

Reply to
Jim S

Sadly not.

Reply to
Huge

They're a damn sight bigger than rats, when you get close to them. They can also be quite vicious - attacking people, and they can recognise one particular person to attack, so pissing them off isn't a good idea.

Are seagulls protected then? Seems unlikely.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In ye goode olde daies ye birdes nestys were ane asset ynto ye cooke.

All eggs taste pretty much the same if fresh but the richness of the meal is the reason gulls were encouraged and attic wyndows allowyed accesse in ye preVictorianne tymes.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The answer is .... I am no longer sure. The more I read, the less I know.

AFAIK, Black-Headed Gulls & Kittiwakes are protected and Greater & Lesser Black Backed and Herring Gulls aren't.

If you can't reliably distinguish between them before pulling the trigger, then I'd leave them all alone.

Besides, they all seem to have protection under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981; "it is an offence to injure, kill or take a wild bird, destroy or remove its nest, or take or destroy its egg."

You could always feed them Alka-Seltzer. :o)

(Yes, I know it's a UL.)

Reply to
Huge

so much shooting as shredding.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Huge

Spamlet

Bugger that.

When they see me coming the birdies all fly an' hide.

But they still go for sar-dines when coat-ed with cyan-ide ...

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Where do you get yer cyan-ide?

Reply to
Jim S

Who won't let you - the seagulls?

Reply to
Lobster

The Council are considering culling by shooting in Cheltenham apparently: it seems that herring gulls are protected, but lesser black-backed gulls aren't:

David

Reply to
Lobster