SDS v Hammer drill

But no concrete in the walls. The bricks are hard but not mega so, think the time saved using an SDS as opposed to using an HD is minimal (in pecentage of the whole job terms); by the time the hole is located, whatever to be screwed to wall is got into screwable condition and the mess (relatively) cleaned up afterwards the actual time taken drilling the hole fades into the background. Figures off the top of my head, 30 mins to put up a telly hanger, 6 x

30 secs to drill the holes with an HD 6x 15 secs to drill the holes with an SDS so saving 1 1/2 minutes on a thirty min job. As I said if I need an SDS for something specific (rather than just wanting one ) will get a cheap one then if it only lasts one or two projects then I have only "lost" £30 or so.
Reply to
soup

"John Anderton" wrote

I have a set of SDS wood augers in the common sizes that I got from Screwfix a few years ago. They are very good, and no problems with accuaracy (as long as the hammer action is off). The only problem I have come across with some harder woods is that if the bit binds up in the timber then the clutch on the drill kicks in to prevent snatching and you end up stuck - especially if like my TE-25 your drill doesn't have a reverse !

Regards

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn Sanders

The message from "soup" contains these words:

I was amazed when I got a SDS drill a few years ago. Holes in gritstone that would take 10 - 15 minutes with the hammer drill (assuming the drill bit lasted the course) would be done in less than 15 seconds by SDS. If you are drilling into something soft like brick or concrete 15 seconds is more than excessive unless you are thinking about an 8 or 10 mm hole.

I bought a cheap Blackspur from Argos. Dribble (in his Adam incarnation) claimed it wouldn't last but it has. (I haven't even had to use the spare brushes that came with it).The only downside has been that it was either off or on which made it a bit awkward starting off when accuracy was required. It was also heavy which I didn't find too much of a disadvantage and I have such weak arms that I find it very difficult to use even a spanner or screwdriver above shoulder height.

I have however recently indulged myself with a Makita (HR2450) for the fiddly things. :-)

Reply to
Roger

The message from Roger contains these words:

If accuracy is really important I make a shallow pilot with an ordinary drill - even the most feeble will manage a 3mm dent in most things.

Reply to
Guy King