SDS rotary stop / hammer only adapter

Hi

I have a SDS drill with a rotary or rotary+hammer setting. I would like to use it on hammer only for chasing out cables and back boxes (moorcut box sinker looks attractive).

Is there a chuck adapter that would convert rotary+hammer to hammer-only action?

Thanks

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I've never seen one and would be an interesting challenge to make one. If you really want an SDS box sinker, you need another drill.

For chasing, if you have a compressor you could use an air tool which gives you reciprocating motion directly, without a rotational intermediate stage.

Something like this

Cheaper than Machine Mart (and Silverline is even cheaper)

Reply to
newshound

Don't recall ever having seen one.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a Quadcut box sinker which seems to have a bearing on the square cutter and came with a bottle of oil. I'm not sure if it was intended to be actually used with a rotary drill or if it's just a safety feature in-case anyone forgets to turn rotary off after drilling the round hole.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen an SDS drill that you can't use on 'hammer only' function - even my first-ever cheap-as-chips SDS machine did that. Are they common?

Reply to
Lobster

Some of the early cheap ones. I'd guess you need a better built unit to be used hammer only, as it is likely to be used for longer periods than just drilling.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it has no rotation stop facility, I'd say it's probably not up to doing chasing only. That puts a great deal more load on the device - it will get used for longer periods than just drilling.

Pretty irrelevant anyway, as I don't think it's possible to make what you want.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's a Hilti TE 15. I think the later models may have hammer only but this one only has a little lever to select hammer drill or no hammer drill.

Oh well, time for a saunter over to toolsatan to look for bargains.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Must be at least 10 years ago I ordered a Bosch SDS from Screwfix that was advertised as having both hammer and rotation stop but in fact only had the former. To their credit Screwfix swapped it for a more expensive De Walt at no extra charge. I had ordered an SDS chisel set at the same time so it was obvious I needed rotation-stop.

I think the Bosch was around £90 - maybe that was cheap at the time.

Reply to
Reentrant

Even some of the earlier pro machines did not have it. Makita certainly did some like that - and possibly still do.

Reply to
John Rumm

shure do:-

(recently been eyeing up 3 mode Makita SDSs for my armoury ;>))

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I think my 2450 is still one of my favourite tools - you can't help smiling as you use it! Really good speed control lets you hammer light enough to just knick through skim plaster, or anywhere right up to flat out. Good chisel position lock, keeps the chisel oriented the way you set it, ample power, nice and quite, not too heavy etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1 :-)
Reply to
Mike Clarke

Ditto; even paying through the nose for it at a local supplier because I needed it in a hurry, it's been well worth the extra.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon