SDS drills

All universal motors will spark from the commutator under load.

But of course Drivel appears to be now recommending annual servicing for power tools. Surprising, given that most he appears to favour are unlikely to last that long.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When do you go back to the clinic?

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Today I got sent a mini-catalogue from Screwfix. One of their Autumn Special "offers" was a Bosch "2kg SDS Plus Rotary Hammer" drill.

Is there any significance in the "2kg" bit (actually detailed as

2·4kg)? Possibly a larger mass will effect more forward thrust in hammer mode?

EMNTK...

Ta.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

It tends to be used as an example of the type of SDS machine. 2kg is a light duty machine, 5kg is more like a small breaker etc. I suppose it's how hard they hammer.

Wot?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There are 4kg models from Bosch and others as well and these will impart more energy to the workpiece as you surmise. OTOH, they are heavier to hold and work with for long periods.

A 2kg will do most jobs in terms of drilling and chiseling that you might want to do around the house and would be reasonable up ladders as well. A 4kg might be too heavy and unwieldy in those situations.

I bought one of the Bosch 4kg models because I wanted to break up some paths at the time and because I wouldn't use an SDS of any kind on a ladder anyway - not all that keen on ladders at the best of times, so for me the heavier weight was OK and more suited for what I wanted.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks Andy. If I ever want to break up any paths, an ex-colleague has a large Kango hammer and 110V transformer which I could borrow any time :-) The 2kg Bosch would appear to be adequate for my purposes - even up a ladder ;-)

At present I have an ancient B&D ½" reversible drill and a Bosch cordless 10mm reversible hammer drill (as well as an assortment of Dremel and "similar" miniature chamines which I use for electronicy things).

Oh - and a carpenter's brace which I received as a 10th birthday present a while ago.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I'm looking at an SDS for knocking back plaster/think artex to brick, to the entire 1st floor of a house we're buying, ready for the plasterers.

Seen this for £25.00 with 3 year warranty

I've purchased silverline hand tools before. ANyone purchased power tools?

Jonny

Reply to
Jach

How much they hammer is dictated by the impact energy (and the number of blows per min) rather than the weight of the drill. Most heavy cheapie SDSs have about the same impact energy as the good quality 2kg ones (2 -

3J usually). A good quality 5kg class machine will however have more impact energy (3.5J +). Obviously as you raise the impact energy you also increase the recoil. So if you desire lots of impact, then there is advantage to a heavier machine.
Reply to
John Rumm

TMH had written:

"Light duty" is a bit ambiguous. Certainly a 2kg SDS is meant for lighter jobs, but a good one will do heavy duty on such jobs.

Since the OP has access to a Kango hammer when needed, a 2kg SDS looks like the right choice - and since he is upgrading from a conventional

500W hammer drill, it's going to amaze him.

Do read the FAQ, Frank. You need: hammer stop; reverse; good slow-speed control; rotation stop that is lockable in several positions; and above all, a safety clutch.

Reply to
Ian White

Matt, you break up paths on a ladder?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No, but then I don't imagine that Bosch cordless SDS drills could be bought for £70 either.

You might have been thinking of this one:

be better value for money. Note that this one has a saw with it as well, and you would be quite safe with it where plastic pipe is involved - no risk of a repeated embarassment.

Alternatively, this one

with a cap and a belt as well.

Don't forget

Andy Hall

Matt, do all those break up paths?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You could try. Maybe start with the concrete carriageway sections on the M4 and let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Who is this "Matt"?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

A figment of dribble's imagination that he likes to lay down before talking to Andy. Probably because he realises he is about to get walked all over, and figures he may as well make it more comfortable.

Reply to
John Rumm

Dribble is terrified of using his real name - probably something to do with Rogue Traders, Trading Standards or county court judgements - and his tiny mind transfers this to others.

Could also be to save others checking on his outrageous claims as to his 'qualifications'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Will you please eff off as you an idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How far did you get on the M4 or did you start on B roads?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt is the person I was responding to.

Reply to